All around cal.

rwk,
Mod 70 FW in .270 Win. Fast foreward 45 years to Oct. 2008, and I had taken Deer-Moose-3 Blacks.....

I'm assuming were still talking game animals here......:D

PS: When I get real old (like Roy) and decreped.....:D
:D Now that's funny right there! :D

Seriously tho ya, .270 & up for all round is good advise. I Love my 270WSM, & wouldnt hesitate to dump an Elk with it. However, given the choice, I'd lean toward any of the 300 mags for serious all round Deer/Elk rifle.
Guess its good that I have bothgun):D

yes the 270 wsm will work and as soon as berger releases the 170 gr it will be a great all around killer.

Why wait for the Berger, there is a 165 and 175 Matrix, been rockn them in my 270 WSM for over 2 years! The 270 WSM loaded up with the good bullets like the 165 Matrix does a real nice job on elk, deer or antelope.

I started like alot of kids with 243, then went to 7RM,but I wanted to take longer shots and have some thump as mainly a elk hunter.So I started taking elk at 500+ for last 30 years,338.Shot my biggest whitey w/340WBY at 29 paces.

I've shot alot of game with a .270, and really liked it. That being said, I also shoot a LaRue OBR in 7.62 and with 175's it performs pretty well.......but my all time go to favorite is my Savage 110 30-06, it's extremely accurate, it's lite, and topped with a Horus Raptor, it performs really well.....especially shooting 150 Federal Fusion ammo.

I have hunted with just about every cartridge you can think of from big to small and the one that seems to have the ability to work in all situations is the 280 Ackley, load up a 180 gr berger and go. low recoil, its easy to load for. has power to take elk way out there. Good barrel life. easy on brass. I Always take two rifles on a hunt and the 280 Akley is always one of them.

It depends on how you hunt, I like to get elk around 300 yds and my 270 win is great at that range for elk, deer I can reach out to 500yds. I bought a 300 RUM and shot elk at 450yds in the shoulder and it made a mess, at 575yds and beyond its perfect. So for 300-350 yds 270 win, past that a 300WM or RUM would be good. My dad always used a 30-06 from antelope to moose, avg. 250-350yds.

If your not going real long range, then I'd go with the 30-06. Ammo is abundant and while not as fast and sexy as the magnums, it'll get the job done.

If you want a little bit more, than I'd go with the 300WSM. I LOVE my 7WSM, but if you don't reload it's awfully hard to find some ammo without going to one of the big stores. Pretty much everyone has 30-06 and 300WSM ammo in stock.

That's my 2 cents

I have hunted with just about every cartridge you can think of from big to small and the one that seems to have the ability to work in all situations is the 280 Ackley, load up a 180 gr berger and go. low recoil, its easy to load for. has power to take elk way out there. Good barrel life. easy on brass. I Always take two rifles on a hunt and the 280 Akley is always one of them.
Whats the other? When your sign is 338 Legend:D

I have shot bulls with a 7-mag at over 300+ yds and never had a problem,with that being said I've also done it with a 30-06 and 300 win Mag. and they never went far.
In my humble opinion you can't go wrong with a 7 Mag, flat shooting, manageable recoil, it's a good all around choice. Bullet placement is the key,practice,practice to learn your rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.