Alberta whitetail

Greyfox

Had a big whitetail that I couldn't get closer than 535 yards from his crossing point on a slew. After about 30 hours of sub zero sitting, and seeing him three times but no shot due to his constant movement, a stroke of luck got me a shot. A hot doe pulled him in to about 200 yards and that was it. Not the long range shot I had anticipated but my best WT so far. Another one for the 6.5-284.

cce84fcc4416be997c4713e37e07d105_zps5594e352.jpg

Had a big whitetail that I couldn't get closer than 535 yards from his crossing point on a slew. After about 30 hours of sub zero sitting, and seeing him three times but no shot due to his constant movement, a stroke of luck got me a shot. A hot doe pulled him in to about 200 yards and that was it. Not the long range shot I had anticipated but my best WT so far. Another one for the 6.5-284.

cce84fcc4416be997c4713e37e07d105_zps5594e352.jpg

Sweet buck, congrats! What was the whitetails dressed weight? Looks huge.

Sweet buck, congrats! What was the whitetails dressed weight? Looks huge.

Great deer! I live in southern Alberta. I hunt the Red Deer river valley/Badlands. There are some terrific mules and WTs in the area.
Where were you hunting?
I have a limited entry mule buck license this year. With all licenses available to me this year, I can kill 1 mule buck, 3 mule does, wt buck and 2 wt does and 2 does (either species) with a bow. I also have a tag for cow elk on the Suffield military base.
Wish I could bring some US vets up here for a hunt!

Regards,
Gary

Great deer! I live in southern Alberta. I hunt the Red Deer river valley/Badlands. There are some terrific mules and WTs in the area.
Where were you hunting?
I have a limited entry mule buck license this year. With all licenses available to me this year, I can kill 1 mule buck, 3 mule does, wt buck and 2 wt does and 2 does (either species) with a bow. I also have a tag for cow elk on the Suffield military base.
Wish I could bring some US vets up here for a hunt!

Regards,
Gary

We were hunting near wainwright. Lots of farmland and very large whitetails and mule deer in the same area.

tell about your 6.5-284. also, what load do you like?? tremendous bucks!!

Thanks. My favorite 6.5x284 that has been my go to LR rig for several years is a Cooper 520, 26" medium heavy barrel, muzzle OD, .78". It has a 5x20 Huskemaw scope. Weight 10.5 pounds. My load is a 140 Hunting Berger(or JLK), Lapua brass, /Fed215. MV 2970. I have become a big fan of the 6.5x284. I have taken a couple of dozen deer/antelope to 998 yards, coyotes further. It is exceotioally accurate, low recoil, and most all of the game I have taken with it that was down and out in it's tracks.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts