Alaskan Guide Rifle

Considering PENETRATION of modern monos like the hammer and x bullet, ANY 375 moving 2600fps at the muzzle will be extremely effective out to 200yards!

Jack and Elmer argued in a different time! Slower velocities, bullets nowhere near as reliable, rifles not as accurate!

A modern 375h&h with a 270 grain or 300 grain mono performs as well 100 yards FURTHER than the best loads available in the 70s!!!

More importantly!

A guide with adrenalin will fire 3 SHOTS ACCURATELY with a 375 he knows intimately!!! Compared to only 1 maybe 2 shots from a 416, 425, 458, 460 that blasts him with TWICE the recoil of the 375!!!

BTW

any of you guys suggesting a pump Remington for bear defense have NEVER SEEN WHAT COASTAL HUNTING OR RELOADS DO in Alaska!

To purposely choose a 338 mag, 300 mag, 35 whelen, 45/70 or 444 OVER A 375 IS JUST FOOLISH!!!

HUNTING BIG BEARS AND STOPPING BIG BEARS ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SUBJECTS!!!

I beg to differ ...

On occasion I run a custom 35 Whelen in a 7600 pump With 225's. Using it with 250's as a "back up" gun makes a lot of sense. I included a pic. This has a 12 twist 21" custom hart barrel and shoots .75 at 100 yards with 55.8 gr. Varget and 225 partitions, AB's or SGK's. At 2600 FPS.

I have run them growing up in New Hampshire in the worst weather - ice, snow, sea coast salt marshes and always reliable contrary to what some say that have zero experience with them. I can get off five shots and slam in the next detachable magazine for four more - a lot faster than any bolt gun on the planet. I still use it sometimes tracking Elk in dark timber here in Colorado.

Attachments

• 4A856BAA-2921-4CAF-B09F-6BE9DCE0F7AA.jpeg
    4A856BAA-2921-4CAF-B09F-6BE9DCE0F7AA.jpeg
    49.2 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
On occasion I run a custom 35 Whelen in a 7600 pump With 225's. Using it with 250's as a "back up" gun makes a lot of sense. I included a pic. This has a 12 twist 21" custom hart barrel and shoots .75 at 100 yards with 55.8 gr. Varget and 225 partitions, AB's or SGK's.

I have run them growing up in New Hampshire in the worst weather and always reliable contrary to what some say that have zero experience with them. I can get off five shots and slam in the next detachable magazine for four more - a lot faster than any bolt gun on the planet. I also use it here in Colorado when going after Elk in dark timber and on a few bear hunts.

10 round mags with 220 soft points in 06 (with a 3x9 set on 3) sure were a fast response in dark timber on elk and black tails and roosevelts when I was a teenager!!!

However for STOPPING AN ANGRY BEAR I aure would FEEL better with a 375!

10 round mags with 220 soft points in 06 (with a 3x9 set on 3) sure were a fast response in dark timber on elk and black tails and roosevelts when I was a teenager!!!

However for STOPPING AN ANGRY BEAR I aure would FEEL better with a 375!

All good but that is was not my point to you.

Your point was the 7600 can't handle AK weather and that caliber is not up to it...

and I pointed out it can and it can do it quickly with authority in that caliber at close range as a back up bear gun and I have the experience to back up the statement.

where you simply "opined" on the merits of it being useful ....based on what "appears" to be zero experience with that rifle or caliber.

Hence why I produced a pic and explained it's still in use today for close range anchoring shots in tight places. And I would appreciate you stop with the sarcasm about my explanation of using it the past 40 years since i was a teenager since that was mentioned to further explain my experience with the rifle and caliber.

You are coming off as an assclown where I simply stated I differ in opinion based on my "experience" using it from NH to AK and states in between to anchor an animal on the spot.

So you have a good day being a keyboard warrior < like many in these forums no experience but full of opinion

Your handle says it all " no where near the woods" bahahhaha

Last edited:
All good but that is was not my point to you.

Your point was the 7600 can't handle AK weather and that caliber is not up to it...

and I pointed out it can and it can do it quickly with authority in that caliber at close range as a back up bear gun and I have the experience to back up the statement.

where you simply "opined" on the merits of it being useful ....based on what "appears" to be zero experience with that rifle or caliber.

Hence why I produced a pic and explained it's still in use today for close range anchoring shots in tight places.

I am also repeating that I do not personally know nor have ever heard a guide or experienced bear hunter who would WILLINGLY CHOOSE A 35 WHELEN TO STOP AN ANGRY WOUNDED BEAR!

338 WIN MAG IN A BAR OR BLR IS A MAYBE

Stopping rifles are 375h&h MINIMUM

if you ever hunted brown bears or polar bears or see the damage they do to a cabin or car when "playing" maybe you would understand, but to support your point karomajo bell killed ****ed off elephants from 15' to 20'!!!

If you are that brave of a man my hats off to you!!!

However as a guide if you fail, YOU HAVE FAILED TO PROTECT YOUR HUNTER AND HIS FAMILY WILL PAY FOR YOUR ARROGANCE. ...

BTW RELOADING FOR A 7600 IS THE MOST FINICKY OF ALL REPEATERS EVER...

FULL LENGTH RESIZING AND CHECKS ON OAL, NECK STRETCH ETC...

NO BOLT TO SEAT THE ROUND.

OFF BY .001 AND YOUR STUCK....

Good luck...

I am also repeating that I do not personally know nor have ever heard a guide or experienced bear hunter who would WILLINGLY CHOOSE A 35 WHELEN TO STOP AN ANGRY WOUNDED BEAR!

338 WIN MAG IN A BAR OR BLR IS A MAYBE

Stopping rifles are 375h&h MINIMUM

if you ever hunted brown bears or polar bears or see the damage they do to a cabin or car when "playing" maybe you would understand, but to support your point karomajo bell killed ****ed off elephants from 15' to 20'!!!

If you are that brave of a man my hats off to you!!!

However as a guide if you fail, YOU HAVE FAILED TO PROTECT YOUR HUNTER AND HIS FAMILY WILL PAY FOR YOUR ARROGANCE. ...

BTW RELOADING FOR A 7600 IS THE MOST FINICKY OF ALL REPEATERS EVER...

FULL LENGTH RESIZING AND CHECKS ON OAL, NECK STRETCH ETC...

NO BOLT TO SEAT THE ROUND.

OFF BY .001 AND YOUR STUCK....

Good luck...

you only get one time to make a first impress and you did not do so well my friend > look at the FPE a 35 Whelen produces inside of 100 yards with a 250-300 grain bullet moving 2300 - 2400 FPS.

Not sure what circles you travel in but I know several people in AK alone say nothing of African PH's that run 35 Whelen's. You are familiar with the story that Elmer Keith used a 35 Whelen to kill a world record coastal brown at spitting distance right?

Do you actually reload? I mean for any caliber lol? The 35 Whelen has a .150 to .250 jump to the lands depending on who's reamer you used to cut the chamber and normally bumped about 5 thou on the shoulder in this action. "No bolt ?" I'd laugh but I think you are serious!

Finicky I have never had a reloading or extraction issue with the 7600 and I have run some hot loads just to see what happens but I will concede the "bolt camming ability is the weak link if an extraction issue were to occur.

But I digress I have to move on - your credibility is a real challenge for me - I wish you the best - and please stop day drinking lol

I could not agree with you more, the knock on the 760/7600 really surprises me but I think you hit the nail right on the head . Zero experience with these reliable fast shooting easy to carry rifles. I carried my 760 carbine from Md to Maine . It's the best deer hunting rifle I have ever used, clip fed , with a fast rate of fire but better than that quick recovery because of the pumping action . Triggers on these gums need work but they all shoot and like you I never saw one not be reliable or break in the field . It would be my protection gun in big bear country.
BYW nice looking rifle!

I could not agree with you more, the knock on the 760/7600 really surprises me but I think you hit the nail right on the head . Zero experience with these reliable fast shooting easy to carry rifles. I carried my 760 carbine from Md to Maine . It's the best deer hunting rifle I have ever used, clip fed , with a fast rate of fire but better than that quick recovery because of the pumping action . Triggers on these gums need work but they all shoot and like you I never saw one not be reliable or break in the field . It would be my protection gun in big bear country.
BYW nice looking rifle!

Guys from age 10 to 22? I Carried a 7600, 22"barrel 06 and killed multiple blacktails, Roosevelt's up to 1000lbs and bears 200-300 lbs...

760s and 7600s ARE AWESOME....

HOWEVER

A WOUNDED BROWN, POLAR, GRIZZLY OR KODIAK BEAR THAT YOU MUST STOP TO PROTECT A CLIENT IN MY OPINION IS NOWHERE NEAR ENOUGH GUARANTEED PENETRATION REGARDLESS OF ANGLE TO STOP A WOUNDED BEAR...

I PERSONALLY EMAILED 3 ALASKAN GUILDES AND THE MOST EXPERIENCED BEAR HUNTER I KNOW. (20+ OVER LAST 40 YEARS) THIS QUESTION....

UNIVERSAL ANSWER FROM THE "MEN IN THE RING"
UNANIMOUSLY

LOL COMPLETELY UTTERLY IRRESPONSIBLE FOR A STOPPING RIFLE!!!

GOING TO GET A HUNTER MAULED OR KILLED!

NUFF SAID!

GOOD LUCK KEYBOARD COWBOYS!

I wouldn't feel safe with anything smaller than .338 and actually a .375 would be better. A 12ga. With slugs....maybe.....45/70 possibly. I'm not sure you can carry to much gun in these instances. Here bigger is better!

On occasion I run a custom 35 Whelen in a 7600 pump With 225's. Using it with 250's as a "back up" gun makes a lot of sense. I included a pic. This has a 12 twist 21" custom hart barrel and shoots .75 at 100 yards with 55.8 gr. Varget and 225 partitions, AB's or SGK's.

I have run them growing up in New Hampshire in the worst weather and always reliable contrary to what some say that have zero experience with them. I can get off five shots and slam in the next detachable magazine for four more - a lot faster than any bolt gun on the planet. I also use it here in Colorado when going after Elk in dark timber and on a few bear hunts.
Looks like some of Nathan's work...? nice pump gun.

I guess I came into this conversation late , as I read back I see I must have offended you. Not my intention .
Guys from age 10 to 22? I Carried a 7600, 22"barrel 06 and killed multiple blacktails, Roosevelt's up to 1000lbs and bears 200-300 lbs...

760s and 7600s ARE AWESOME....

HOWEVER

A WOUNDED BROWN, POLAR, GRIZZLY OR KODIAK BEAR THAT YOU MUST STOP TO PROTECT A CLIENT IN MY OPINION IS NOWHERE NEAR ENOUGH GUARANTEED PENETRATION REGARDLESS OF ANGLE TO STOP A WOUNDED BEAR...

I PERSONALLY EMAILED 3 ALASKAN GUILDES AND THE MOST EXPERIENCED BEAR HUNTER I KNOW. (20+ OVER LAST 40 YEARS) THIS QUESTION....

UNIVERSAL ANSWER FROM THE "MEN IN THE RING"
UNANIMOUSLY

LOL COMPLETELY UTTERLY IRRESPONSIBLE FOR A STOPPING RIFLE!!!

GOING TO GET A HUNTER MAULED OR KILLED!

NUFF SAID!

GOOD LUCK KEYBOARD COWBOYS!
lol I'm 60 years old and never been called that before.

View attachment 176774
Well here it is
My Guide rifle for Brown Bears
375 rbh built by Travis at RBROS rifles pushing a 331 grain Sledgehammer bullet 2660 fps from a 22 inch Proof Research barrel.
Rig weighs 8.6 lbs as pictured
Topped off with the Zeiss 1x6x24
Should do the job well. View attachment 176775

One heck of a rifle & cartridge! Glad to learn that Travis built it - he builds amazing rifles. I guess spring season is a no-go? Dang. Well, should be a lot of bears around for fall season then. Best of luck you you, and tell Lyle that I said howdy.

Regards, Guy

What is Yours experience with zeiss scope (mine is not good,it have clear glass but everything else is not good).
And do You have muzzle break?

What is Yours experience with zeiss scope (mine is not good,it have clear glass but everything else is not good).
And do You have muzzle break?

So far I'm pleased with the scope. No complaints with any of them I've dealt with recently.
Yes I have a muzzle brake for this rifle. When I'm guiding it comes off.
POI is not effected enough for me to worry about

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.