Alaskan Guide Rifle

View attachment 176774
Well here it is
My Guide rifle for Brown Bears
375 rbh built by Travis at RBROS rifles pushing a 331 grain Sledgehammer bullet 2660 fps from a 22 inch Proof Research barrel.
Rig weighs 8.6 lbs as pictured
Topped off with the Zeiss 1x6x24
Should do the job well. View attachment 176775
RBROS is a solid trusted builder. I like your choice of guns. Interesting cartridge. Sharp shoulder, little tapper. Jeffery case?

338/300 Norma mag
I'm using modified 423 Dakota brass made by Lapua years ago. Had 500 of them left after all the Thor/RBH case testing

Thats funny. I was going to suggest a 423 using that brass because its tough brass. I really want to go back to Africa for a buff and have considered making a 423 Dakota, 404 Jeffrey, or .416 Rigby. I still have 800 or so 423 Dakota cases.

I'm going to Cold Bay for Brown Bear in May. I bought a ruger hawkeye alaskan in .375 Ruger. Topped with a Leupold 2x10 HD5. Still figuring out what bullet I want to use but so far I'm lean towards 300 gn partition.

I'm going to Cold Bay for Brown Bear in May. I bought a ruger hawkeye alaskan in .375 Ruger. Topped with a Leupold 2x10 HD5. Still figuring out what bullet I want to use but so far I'm lean towards 300 gn partition.
partitions are hard to beat.... Good luck on the hunt

Well it's looking more and more like spring bear season is going to be canceled this year.
At least for unit 9. Waiting to see what the Game commission and the Governor accept on the proposal from the APHA.

Well it's looking more and more like spring bear season is going to be canceled this year.
At least for unit 9. Waiting to see what the Game commission and the Governor accept on the proposal from the APHA.

Considering PENETRATION of modern monos like the hammer and x bullet, ANY 375 moving 2600fps at the muzzle will be extremely effective out to 200yards!

Jack and Elmer argued in a different time! Slower velocities, bullets nowhere near as reliable, rifles not as accurate!

A modern 375h&h with a 270 grain or 300 grain mono performs as well 100 yards FURTHER than the best loads available in the 70s!!!

More importantly!

A guide with adrenalin will fire 3 SHOTS ACCURATELY with a 375 he knows intimately!!! Compared to only 1 maybe 2 shots from a 416, 425, 458, 460 that blasts him with TWICE the recoil of the 375!!!

BTW

any of you guys suggesting a pump Remington for bear defense have NEVER SEEN WHAT COASTAL HUNTING OR RELOADS DO in Alaska!

To purposely choose a 338 mag, 300 mag, 35 whelen, 45/70 or 444 OVER A 375 IS JUST FOOLISH!!!

HUNTING BIG BEARS AND STOPPING BIG BEARS ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SUBJECTS!!!

Some cats should just never play with the Big dogs.
tenor4.gif
giphy.gif

I guess the main concern is to protect a client and yourself with this rifle . I have no experience with big bears so my advice is worth every dime your paying for it. However you may want to check out the Remington 7600 carbine in 35 Whelen. With a 250 grain Nosler Partition your getting about 3000 lbs of energy and four rounds of ammo . It is a compact rifle and easy to carry but the most important factor is that it gives you fast follow up shots and puts a lot of bone crushing power in a fast handling carbine. It's also a clip fed rifle so reloading is as easy as putting in another clip!

On occasion I run a custom 35 Whelen in a 7600 pump With 225's. Using it with 250's as a "back up" gun makes a lot of sense. I included a pic. This has a 12 twist 21" custom hart barrel and shoots .75 at 100 yards with 55.8 gr. Varget and 225 partitions, AB's or SGK's.

I have run them growing up in New Hampshire in the worst weather and always reliable contrary to what some say that have zero experience with them. I can get off five shots and slam in the next detachable magazine for four more - a lot faster than any bolt gun on the planet. I also use it here in Colorado when going after Elk in dark timber and on a few bear hunts.

Attachments

• 2AC01A91-E0C3-4799-8AA5-B50D61555B75.jpeg
    2AC01A91-E0C3-4799-8AA5-B50D61555B75.jpeg
    49.2 KB · Views: 158
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.