Alaska Moose Hunt Berger 210vld

Funny how the "establishment" that's against Berger bullets frequently brings up a charging bear 🤔
Ok so I'm going to try and not stir the pot. Plus try and be objective
I use Berger bullets a lot. In the lower 48. Killed deer and elk. Lots of them! Most with a Berger.
A grizzly is a force of nature that I can't put into words. Then a sow with cubs is a whole different level of unbelievable force.
Im not the establishment. I'm just a peckerwood that guides in Alaska.
Bottom line is this.
Would I trust my life to a frangible bullet in grizzly country?
Hell no!
This includes where I hunt in Wyoming and Idaho.
In Alaska I'll be using a Hammer mono
Have I used a Hammer on a charging bear?
No I haven't. I hope I never have to. But after seeing the performance on other game from follow up shots I'm converted and convinced
Have I seen the performance of a Berger first hand on a grizzly? No I haven't.
But I got to talk with the guide this last fall that did see and experience it first hand!
While there are many extenuating circumstances surrounding this incident the hunter is now ok. He has scars and a crooked smile.
The first shot that contacted the animal was the most important.
Yes it was a Berger he used. 168 vld. Shot placement wasn't perfect. As happens when hunting. So much takes place in the heat of the moment! So much!!!!
A frangible bullet has its place.
Grizzly country isn't one of them.
Just my2 cents

Last edited:
Ok so I'm going to try and not stir the pot. Plus try and be objective
I use Berger bullets a lot. In the lower 48. Killed deer and elk. Lots of them! Most with a Berger.
A grizzly is a force of nature that I can't put into words. Then a sow with cubs is a whole different level of unbelievable force.
Im not the establishment. I'm just a peckerwood that guides in Alaska.
Bottom line is this.
Would I trust my life to a frangible bullet in grizzly country?
Hell no!
This includes where I hunt in Wyoming and Idaho.
In Alaska I'll be using a Hammer mono
Have I used a Hammer on a charging bear?
No I haven't. I hope I never have to. But after seeing the performance on other game from follow up shots I'm converted and convinced
Have I seen the performance of a Berger first hand on a grizzly? No I haven't.
But I got to talk with the guide this last fall that did see and experience it first hand!
While there are many extenuating circumstances surrounding this incident.
The first shot that contacted the animal was the most important.
Yes it was a Berger he used. 168 vld. Shot placement wasn't perfect. As happens when hunting. So much takes place in the heat of the moment! So much!!!!
A frangible bullet has its place.
Grizzly country isn't one of them.
Just my2 cents
Funny how everything is second hand experience or hearsay. Freaking internet and fake news...i have never seen a any bullet kill animals faster than a berger. A berger to the shoulder or the face or the butt end or whereever isnt going to be a deterrent? You don't have to kill it, you just have to live to fight another day.

It is also funny to me that you guys think you are going to use your rifle as bear defense at a charging grizzly. This isn't grizzly hunting, it moose hunting in grizzly country. You have a waaaayyy better chance of drawing a pistol and getting shots off if you have practiced than getting your scope on a chunk of brown fur closing fast at 15 ft. Or have somebody go with you and carry an 870 with slugs. This is just too much🤣

Last edited:
☹ Yep
I figured
I guess I should have added that I hunt in grizzly country multiple times a year and trust my life to those weak berger bullets. To each their own...we all have to make those life altering decisions.

Funny you put blind faith in hammer bullets that fragment as well.

Funny how everything is second hand experience or hearsay. Freaking internet and fake news...i have never seen a any bullet kill animals faster than a berger. A berger to the shoulder or the face or the butt end or whereever isnt going to be a deterrent? You don't have to kill it, you just have to live to figjt another day.

It is also funny to me that you guys think you are going to use your rifle as bear defense at a charging grizzly. This isn't grizzly hunting, it moose hunting in grizzly country. You have a waaaayyy better chance of drawing a pistol and getting shots off if you have practiced than getting your scope on a chunk of brown fur closing fast at 15 ft. Or have somebody go with you and carry an 870 with slugs. This is just too much🤣
Exactly what are you looking for?

Someone to be chareged and mauled?
You been there?
I was in the high camp while all this took place. The guide that experienced all this was flown up to my camp. We got the chance to talk together a time or two about this
Second hand?Yes
Pretty raw and real?
What you got for grizzly encounters?

Exactly what are you looking for?

Someone to be chareged and mauled?
You been there?
I was in the high camp while all this took place. The guide that experienced all this was flown up to my camp. We got the chance to talk together a time or two about this
Second hand?Yes
Pretty raw and real?
What you got for grizzly encounters?
I have had a couple pretty intense grizzly encounters, but never had to fire a shot yet. Sounds like you haven't had any...

Thats exactly what I am looking for, you to use one of those hammers on a charging grizzly and let us know how that turns out for you 😉

I have had a couple pretty intense grizzly encounters, but never had to fire a shot yet. Sounds like you haven't had any...

Thats exactly what I am looking for, you to use one of those hammers on a charging grizzly and let us know how that turns out for you 😉

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish with your posts.
You seem to be completely anti Hammer no matter what.
This isn't a reply to please
For me to trust my clients life as well as mine to a single bullet is huge.
Did I just go with the internet hype and jump onboard? Nope!
I tested the hell or of these things!
4 different calibers!
6 different bullet weights and types
4 of those on game
My 2 rifles for guiding where tested on beef skulls and bodies. As well as game.
Plus REAL world on moose and Caribou in Alaska for performance!!
I'm sure you've tested them also to base your enormous amount of experience you post about with Hammers
Be careful where you are going with this

Be careful where you are going with this
Really? Why? You are recommending bullets that haven't been proven on grizzlies, for use on grizzlies in a self defense situation, but have been proven on moose and caribou and beef skulls...doesn't sound much different than a berger...just saying...

I don't shoot hammers and probably never will, or any mono for that matter. If I ever decided to venture down that path my first stop would be cutting edge.

Every animal I have ever shot with a berger has died the same quick death - a couple staggering steps then down for the count.

No need for the threats and tough guy attitude on a forum brother...we are all just here to have fun and kill some time.

Last edited:
Hey fellow hunters, I'm brand new to the group & I feel you can all help me make a decision here. Please DO NOT respond to this thread if you have never killed an animal with a Berger or if you are here to trash talk the bullet that puts elk meat in my freezer every year from 60yds to 850yds........Thanks Guys

My brother & I are headed to Alaska In September 2021 for a 10 day moose drop hunt. I'm bringing my 300wby no matter what. I currently rock mature bull elk with the 210gr VLD with zero issues. Has anyone here killed a moose in Alaska or the lower 48 with a Berger bullet?......

I've had clients of mine kill two bull moose with my .30 noz shooting a 210 vld hunting bullet. One at 400 and the other at 636. Both were absolutely devasted and dropped in one shot.

I was waiting on the flying trash can boys to show up. As usual they didn't disappoint.

A 210 berger in the vitals is going to kill anything on NA continent that walks. Bear encounters very rarely end in shots fired. I've seen rocks thrown, whistles blown, but never a shot fired at a grizzly.

I guess I should have added that I hunt in grizzly country multiple times a year and trust my life to those weak berger bullets. To each their own...we all have to make those life altering decisions.

Funny you put blind faith in hammer bullets that fragment as well.
Your ignorance is showing.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.