Alaska Moose Hunt Berger 210vld

If you are comfortable with them, take them. I would personally build a load with a heavier constructed bullet for a moose.

I shoot bergers on deer and cow elk. If I was on a bull hunt or moose hunt though I would be looking at barnes, nosler Partition, hammer, swift a frame, etc.

I wont shoulder shoot animals with Bergers. If you put them through the ribs into the boiler room it is all good and lights out in my experience, but they are designed to fragment.
All I use for all game is berger vld moose elk deer and varmints I use barnes in California only in my 7saum other wise I use 7mm for all

I have killed moose and going again in October. Shots not normally long but a lot of brush I would much prefer Aframe bullets. Shots are close and brushy

Hey fellow hunters, I'm brand new to the group & I feel you can all help me make a decision here. Please DO NOT respond to this thread if you have never killed an animal with a Berger or if you are here to trash talk the bullet that puts elk meat in my freezer every year from 60yds to 850yds........Thanks Guys

My brother & I are headed to Alaska In September 2021 for a 10 day moose drop hunt. I'm bringing my 300wby no matter what. I currently rock mature bull elk with the 210gr VLD with zero issues. Has anyone here killed a moose in Alaska or the lower 48 with a Berger bullet?......
yes that is what I shot till the berger Co came out with the 215gr Hybrid I can move the 215 faster and with less pressure then the 210 vld and they are not picky like the 210s are as to OAL. but I have taken grizz moose boos with the 210vld they work good

1583852702309.png

Elk are big, Alaskan Yukon moose are a lot bigger.
Shot a nice Shiras in Idaho over 900 lbs took the 2nd largest moose form for the mount, 300 wm with 215 bergers double lung went less than 100yds.
RH300UM has it right, I have had run ins with Grizzlys in Alaska and the NWT, those guys are a 100% serious matter!
Any future hunts in this part of the world I will take my 338 RUM.
Steve Bair

I killed a moose 1 1/2 yrs ago with the Berger 215 in my .30 Nosler. About 3000 fps. Moose was right at 100 yds. Hit the front edge of the shoulder. Bull went less than 15 yds and died. The Bergers will do fine under many conditions. I used my 7 SAUM in Africa last Sept. We killed like 14 animals with that rifle and 180 gr Bergers including 3 eland. I only shot a second time at one of them and the follow up wasn't needed as that eland was going down without it.
My only concern would be brush. Wouldn't want to shoot one where it might hit a branch before it gets to the animal. The 210's and 215 will kill very well. Good luck on your hunt.
Bruce

My son, 15 years old last year took a ND Bull Moose at 500 yards with the 215 Hybrid out of a 300 WM. Bull was dead on its feet but had him put another one in it just to be safe.

I've killed two cow elk with the same bullet, 175 yards and 350.

The cow at 175 baffled me a bit. 1st shot cow dropped and then got up after maybe 1 minute. Put another right next to the 1st one and it turned sideways. Put a 3rd right behind the shoulder and down she went. Upon walking over to it after 5 minutes of discussion, it was still alive so I put another in the back of the neck at 5 yards, game over. Upon inspection when gutting it out, the 1st 2 we're literally touching but just high of the vitals. 3rd shot took out the liver based on angle of the shot, she would have bled out.

The cow at 350 was a double lung and dead after a 30 yard run.

I don't think I'll stop using this bullet

Couple pics of my sons moose.

Attachments

• 20181013_120648.jpg
    20181013_120648.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 160
  • 20181013_105611.jpg
    20181013_105611.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 167
  • 20181013_101330.jpg
    20181013_101330.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 167
  • 20181013_105900.jpg
    20181013_105900.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Having been to Alaska moose hunting and northern BC, these creatures are big. I shoot bergers for alot of hunting, but when it comes to penetration, i really prefer Barnes. You don't realize how big a trophy sized moose is, but 2.5 to 3 foot penetration is needed. Shoulder shots to put down now, not let him run into the middle of a lake or river to expire!!

Hey fellow hunters, I'm brand new to the group & I feel you can all help me make a decision here. Please DO NOT respond to this thread if you have never killed an animal with a Berger or if you are here to trash talk the bullet that puts elk meat in my freezer every year from 60yds to 850yds........Thanks Guys

My brother & I are headed to Alaska In September 2021 for a 10 day moose drop hunt. I'm bringing my 300wby no matter what. I currently rock mature bull elk with the 210gr VLD with zero issues. Has anyone here killed a moose in Alaska or the lower 48 with a Berger bullet?......
I hunted Canadian moose in 2018. We were in BC almost to the Yucon so they were getting pretty big as far as body size goes.

I shoot a 7LRM shooting 180 grain Berger hybrids. My shot on the moose I took was just short of 300 yards. My first shot connected broadside in the chest cavity and with my guide screaming to shoot again I placed another round just inches from that one. He went about 40 yds from the first shot and fell over. The internal damage was exactly what I've come to expect from that bullet on other large game animals. One would have been plenty!

Ive killed 4 bull moose, 2 with 375 RUM and 2 with 340 WBY, they aren't that tough....Berger's will do fine...

I'd go with the 215. But if you got a load with the 210 run it. Myself with the possibility of bears I'd run the 200 l r x from Barnes or the 214 hammer. I've been running Barnes exclusively for a long time now only other bullet I'd try is the hammer. Because. You never know if you'll have a close or far shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.