Air Compressor - Piping for Gunsmithing Equipment

I didn't read through all the pages so forgive me if I repeat someone else's advice. Your use of dryers and filters seems to be adequate. DON'T use PVC. PVC is dangerous with compressed air. PVC pipe manufacturers specifically warn against using PVC with compressed air, When a pressurized PVC is struck or fractured in will shatter and send splinters in every direction injuring anyone close by. Steel pipe is our preferred material since it's is such rugged material. But it is kind of hard for a novice to use. In your application we would probably use L copper since it is easy to use and looks neat and tidy. The fittings could be either solder or press. Brigit or Taramet Sterling are great solders. If you use press fittings be sure to use the ones approved for petroleum products. I have not used the the Duratec piping but it does seem to be promising but it may be more challenging to install neatly. You may PM me with your phone number and I will be glad to discuss the job with you.

The other plumbers/pipe fitters advice is also solid.

PlumberEd
Thanks for the offer I may call you.
I have many years of experience welding on Nuclear Reactors and Piping systems on Nuke Submarines. My expertise is Tig, Stick, Mig welding. I have also Brazed Stainless & Copper piping. Currently have a complete Welding shop from Oxy Acetylene to do Jeweler size items to Stick/Mig/Tig on large tractors Heavy Equipment.
Soldering would be adequate but have the equipment and material to Silver Braze.

I install fire sprinkler systems with CPVC and test them to 220psi of WATER. The only time we put air in the system is for testing in freezing temperatures and only 20psi for 2 hours. We never use air for and other reasons because of the "explosion danger".

We used pvc no problems
no problems until there's problems. When pvc gets brittle...and it will....it will shatter into shards and create havoc. I'm a professional plumber/ pipefitter and pvc for airlines isn't ever a good idea. I've installed copper in a starter repair shop and most most recently that blue pipe you speak of. Threaded black steel is fine too, but pvc is a definite no-go

We have been renovating out shop (seems like forever with my spinal cord injury). Getting ready to put some permanent Compressed Air Lines throughout the shop. Reloading area, Lathe/Mill/Drill/Saw area, and Cerakote Spray Booth & Blasing Station. Currently running rubber hoses and when putting more permanent lines in what is the best material to use? I looked at steel, but hard to work with and threading, PVC Scheduled 40 seems like a bad idea because of plastic break down. Looking at Copper. Type "L" is rated at 1,000psi and Type "M is 700 psi. Big difference in price. Our Compressor is a Quincy Two Stage, Four Cylinder, 5 HP, 60 Gallon and 175 psi. I Installed an After Cooler on the compressor between the compressor and tank with water separator/filter then have 60' of copper pipe in several 7' sections to act as a dryer with drains on each section. After that the air goes into an Advanced 3-in-1 compressed air dryer system features modes for pre-refrigeration, evaporation, and air and moisture separation.
Then I need to get the Filtered/Clean/Moisture Free air to the stations.
What is the piping you may be using?

Thanks
Len & Jill
Well not one who has exactly designed air distribution systems for gunsmith shops I have designed and installed a few over the years for aircraft maintenance shops. The most recent type of piping that has been used is PEX tubing which is essentially a water type tube, as are all the rest. Depending on the installation PEX is able to withstand pressure up to 160 psi, well above the pressure requirements for all but a few shops. The connectors are press on, cut the PEX to length and press on a conventional fitting that is similar to other water type fittings and you are ready to go. Cuts down installation time as well as installation errors, lets just say considerably. Something to think about.

Silfos is the typical copper brazing product used for refrigeration systems and air conditioning. No flux needed and with a nitrogen purge it will keep the inside of the line absolutely clean. This is what med gas in hospitals is done with. I'm speaking oxygen lines that if ruptured would be catastrophic. For an air line dynaflow is an excellent lower cost alternative. Here is a link to that that you can direct buy from. https://www.supplyhouse.com/Harris-D620F1-Dynaflow-PhosCopper-Brazing-Rods-28-Sticks-per-Tube

Silfos is the typical copper brazing product used for refrigeration systems and air conditioning. No flux needed and with a nitrogen purge it will keep the inside of the line absolutely clean. This is what med gas in hospitals is done with. I'm speaking oxygen lines that if ruptured would be catastrophic. For an air line dynaflow is an excellent lower cost alternative. Here is a link to that that you can direct buy from. https://www.supplyhouse.com/Harris-D620F1-Dynaflow-PhosCopper-Brazing-Rods-28-Sticks-per-Tube
Thanks
nice product. We have an account with Supply House.

I have to echo the PVC. Rated to 300 psi (should be stamped/printed right on it), easily customized, usually the more frugal option. Compressors typically have 180 psi safety release valve. Should cover all your bases with proper regulators installed at work stations.

From best to worst: copper is by far the best. It dissipates heat the best and there is almost zero corrosion. Next would be galvanized steel. It's heavy and harder to plumb. Doesn't dissipate heat as well either. Third is black pipe. With compressed air there is always moisture. Rust actually forms inside the piping and will flow into air tools and restrict pinch points in lines. The worst is pvc. Although it's easiest and cheapest it holds heat like a styrophome coffee cup which promotes moisture which damages air powered components.

I ran Maxline 3/4' in my shop . You can get it all from a company named TP tools . They also make some of the best blast cabinets. affordable and easy to install .

Thanks for the offer I may call you.
I have many years of experience welding on Nuclear Reactors and Piping systems on Nuke Submarines. My expertise is Tig, Stick, Mig welding. I have also Brazed Stainless & Copper piping. Currently have a complete Welding shop from Oxy Acetylene to do Jeweler size items to Stick/Mig/Tig on large tractors Heavy Equipment.
Soldering would be adequate but have the equipment and material to Silver Braze.
Coyote looks like we are in the same buisness. I will echo some of the other posters. Using PVC especially at 175 PSI is a bad bad idea. Type M copper would be fine along with the aluminum air products. Brazing, sweating, or press fitting will all work. Propress or equivalent is also a quicker option if you can get your hands on a press gun.

Coyote looks like we are in the same buisness. I will echo some of the other posters. Using PVC especially at 175 PSI is a bad bad idea. Type M copper would be fine along with the aluminum air products. Brazing, sweating, or press fitting will all work. Propress or equivalent is also a quicker option if you can get your hands on a press gun.
Thanks much!
Going with copper & Brazing since I have the means to do. Just need to reconfigure how the lines will run to save material. Will have some hose reels along with a manifold between machines so can just use coiled hoses. Will mostly use low pressure except for Blasting parts clean or Bead Blasting. Also have an outside blasting area for larger and non Gunsmith items. May need higher pressure for that blaster.
Thanks again
Len

Last edited: