After ringing steel, then what?

I shoot to a mile with 6mm and 6.5 and yes it is really difficult to see hits compared to .30 and .338 but a phone skope type adapter(I have a cheap $20 from amazon) on a spotting scope makes it pretty easy to see unless there is heavy mirage. I typically aim at a baseball size rock on the side of a hill with no brush or grass, preferably with dirt around it so I can see the bullets splash. I used to aim at bigger rocks but I've learned the you don't get much dust off them to see anything. I bought a remanufactured $50 Galaxy S8 from ebay as it has a single lens video camera, my newer cell phone has several lenses and switches as you zoom in so it isn't practical for digi scoping. You can also wifi the recording to a laptop for a bigger viewing screen. So in order I get the rifle and scope dialed on the target, set the labradar, chamber the round, then start the video camera, shoot, stop the camera, record the data, then watch the shot. Most times I can see it in the scope but if not I rely on the video.
Wedgy, where in the US are you shooting as described above? And thank you for your methodical step-by-step! I just received my labradar two weeks ago and am looking forward to trying it out and adding it to my process.

You need a GOOD spotter to go with you.
I happen to be a member at Cowtown also.

And....there is a 1398 yard target WAAAY out there...visible from Platform Delta only. ;)
Hey Lance, I agree...a good spotter. Are you shooting any of the AZLRPS matches or other Cowtown competitions? I've been thinking about AZLRPS and have watched a few of their matches this year.

Ok, this 1,398 yd target you speak of. I did notice that the closer ridgelines hide someof the targets when on Platforms A, B and C. I've been shooting the ~1,000 yard target, from Delta, that is bearing almost due North, about 005 degrees. It's the one that has, I guess, a standard IPSC human shaped target and plenty of sandy dirt dug up all around it from thousands of misses and a few hits that are deflected down into the dirt. Do you happen to have a bearing or some common landmarks to help me find this 1,398 yard target? 👍

While that is a good idea, the convenience of having about 50+ pieces of steel up at ranges from a 2×3" silhouette at 180 to an IPSC at 1390, and 50 others scattered across 7 hills, from prairie dogs and 4" triangles, to bobcats, rounds, bowling pins, coke bottles, from 1/2 MOA to 2 MOA and 250 to 1100 sure is easy.
Those **** bowling pins! They sure are narrow! Yeah, Cowtown has a great setup. A 2x3" silhouette, you say? I'll have to look for that one. Thanks, Lance.

Buy some steel targets and set them out somewhere on blm assuming no target shooting restriction. Better practice setting up in field conditions and you eventually get used to wind at a certain range which can lead to some false confidence.

Plenty of cheap ways to set up a steel target

Hey Lance, I agree...a good spotter. Are you shooting any of the AZLRPS matches or other Cowtown competitions? I've been thinking about AZLRPS and have watched a few of their matches this year.

Ok, this 1,398 yd target you speak of. I did notice that the closer ridgelines hide someof the targets when on Platforms A, B and C. I've been shooting the ~1,000 yard target, from Delta, that is bearing almost due North, about 005 degrees. It's the one that has, I guess, a standard IPSC human shaped target and plenty of sandy dirt dug up all around it from thousands of misses and a few hits that are deflected down into the dirt. Do you happen to have a bearing or some common landmarks to help me find this 1,398 yard target? 👍
20211231_090430.jpg

20211231_090436.jpg

20211231_090444.jpg

20211231_090455.jpg

Well, your Spotter is certainly overjoyed!! Love it. Thanks for the pics and videos. I'm glad they painted that target desert tan 🤨. It's on my target list! Nice rifle. Just learned of Axisworks a few weeks ago.
Axisworks is currently working on rifle build #14 for me as we speak. That should tell you all you need to know.

We use a Spotter and phone scope set up for all of my long range shots . 732. 1386 , 1 mile on a milk jug , 2056 on a 18 " x 18" plate swinger and then my furthest to date ..3027 yards on a 36" 36" steel swinging plate!
Cant tell you how much fun it is !
Yes this was in Montana also !
Good times with my Buddy !

Oh by the way ...this Rifle ain't no Creedmore ! 😃😃
But you have to shoot what you have !
Good Luck !
20210411_105321.jpg

Rum Man

We use a Spotter and phone scope set up for all of my long range shots . 732. 1386 , 1 mile on a milk jug , 2056 on a 18 " x 18" plate swinger and then my furthest to date ..3027 yards on a 36" 36" steel swinging plate!
Cant tell you how much fun it is !
Yes this was in Montana also !
Good times with my Buddy !

Oh by the way ...this Rifle ain't no Creedmore ! 😃😃
But you have to shoot what you have !
Good Luck ! View attachment 473064

Rum Man
Impressive shooting, Rum Man! How many mils is your scope canted with that wedge-looking rail?

A spotter and/or phone scope seem to be the consensus in this thread.

I think I'd have to elevate my entire 65CM on a 30 degree bench to even reach 3,000 yards! Completely blind shot!

Hooray for Montana! Beautiful country. 👍

In that set up I had 325 min of elevation!
338 Edge , 30" kreiger barrel, 300 gr berger @ 2850 ft.per.sec. ! 55 moa base , 200 min. Valdada adj.base and the Vortex gen 1 Razor .
This was right after my Open Heart Surgery! Could Not lay prone ..way to much pain . So I used that bench made from 1 piece of plywood ! Its killer !!
If I remember correctly it was 43 mil elevation and a 6 mil wind hold .

What a Rush the first time I hit the plate !
We were jumping around like little kids !

Get your steel targets set up and have a spotter with ya ! It's a Rush I cant explain .

Milk jug at a mile was lots of fun to !

Rum Man

Last edited:
I've taken a couple long-range shooting courses in the past year and have joined a local range (Cowtown in north Phoenix, AZ). The range has a 100 yard zeroing bay and a swath of desert with a bunch of steel targets ranging from 200 to just over 1,000 yards. Steel targets are not accessible to members. I'll start a range day zeroing my rifle at the 100 yard bay using paper targets, then move to the steel targets. I shoot a Tikka Tact A1 65CM with factory Federal GM 140gr SMK or Berger Hybrid (no comments from the Peanut Gallery please...unless you can't help yourself!). The goal is to build habit patterns and skills for long range shooting and eventually long range hunting (but maybe not with this rifle). Shooting prone, I feel somewhat confident in my ability to consistently hit various sized steel targets up to 600 or 700 yards. The problem is, I can make the steel ring, but I have no clue how accurate my shots are. I can typically guess where a shot hits by how the steel moves. But this is very different from what many of you do where you are able to repaint your steel targets or use paper targets long range to actually see the group size (precision) and POI (accuracy). With my range limitations, what should I focus on next? Should I start with the larger steel targets and then work to get consistent with smaller and smaller targets? I think some of the larger round targets are probably 36" and maybe the small round ones are down to 8", but I'll have to confirm this with the range officers. I guess I could go into the desert and set up my own long-range paper targets (many do this in the Queen Valley area east of Phoenix). I just feel that ringing steel gets me so far in my development, and I'd like to know what I should do to continue my development. I could participate in the local Arizona Precision Rifle club matches which might be good for practicing various shooting positions. Thoughts on all of this?
I would get your own 10x10 or 12x12 steel targets and set them up for practice. I have fairly mobile stands and targets to take to the field if needed. I also shoot spots on rocks etc. I very often shoot spots on rocks and look for first round impact accuracy. Additionally, I prefer shooting positional, real world scenarios under time constraints, to test my preparedness.