What happens after impact?

My question is what happens to a matchking after it impacts the ground? Suppose Im shooting into a flat hay field either into a groundhog then impacting the ground or just plain hitting the ground.
Does the bullet stop upon impact with the ground or does it richocet and continue on its merry way.
I assume that if the bullet expands, its ballistic coefficient would approach zero.
My house overlooks a 100 acre river bottom with houses on the other side of the river about 1300 yards away with trees on both sides of the river.

YUP, had to get my two cents in on this one. Any and all bullets regardless of the caliber, bullet type maybe with the exception if frangible bullets will in fact ricochet. Doesn't matter what they hit, dirt, rocks trees or water as long as it is at any angle it will take off in directions unknown. No the bullet does not necessarily stop when hitting the ground, it will go on its merry way and places where you never in your wildest dreams imagined it would go or where you wanted it to go. I teach Hunter Safety and we use TAB-K as our safety synonym. T- Treat every firearm as if it's loaded. A- Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction B- Be sure of your target and what is beyond. K- Keep your finger off of the trigger until you are ready to shoot. There are many other synonym's but all remind you of what being safe means. In each and every firearms accident one of these rules were violated, which was the cause of the accident. Always keep the safety rules in mind when shooting. 1300 yards is nothing for an errant bullet to fly. Be Safe!

YUP, had to get my two cents in on this one. Any and all bullets regardless of the caliber, bullet type maybe with the exception if frangible bullets will in fact ricochet. Doesn't matter what they hit, dirt, rocks trees or water as long as it is at any angle it will take off in directions unknown. No the bullet does not necessarily stop when hitting the ground, it will go on its merry way and places where you never in your wildest dreams imagined it would go or where you wanted it to go. I teach Hunter Safety and we use TAB-K as our safety synonym. T- Treat every firearm as if it's loaded. A- Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction B- Be sure of your target and what is beyond. K- Keep your finger off of the trigger until you are ready to shoot. There are many other synonym's but all remind you of what being safe means. In each and every firearms accident one of these rules were violated, which was the cause of the accident. Always keep the safety rules in mind when shooting. 1300 yards is nothing for an errant bullet to fly. Be Safe!
The OP hasn't been on this site in 20 years.

TS560x560_4043718.jpg

OP probably shot,bounced one into the neighbor's house, went to jail for 20-25 years. He should be back any day now...