After ringing steel, then what?

You are correct Jim, The only two times I shot steel at ranges out to 500 yards and beyond, I did not know what Bullet marks on the steel were mine, and which were the other shooters. The instructor told me "good hit, or off to the right!!! So you hit the plate , but perhaps center.

Shooting smaller steel targets like MOA can help, but if you are not there yet, then use 1.5-2 MOA. Also, a good spotting scope with a spotter can greatly help. Find someone who also enjoys shooting or being at the range and take turns spotting for each other, calling shots, wind, etc. When spotting for other shooters and calling their wind, I always found this as a great training tool to improve my own shooting and to take a break from the prone aches. Even on heavily impacted steel targets at 600, it is fairly easy to see impacts and lead dust clouds on steel, and often with proper lighting, even the bullet in flight just before impact.
What del2les said

I've taken a couple long-range shooting courses in the past year and have joined a local range (Cowtown in north Phoenix, AZ). The range has a 100 yard zeroing bay and a swath of desert with a bunch of steel targets ranging from 200 to just over 1,000 yards. Steel targets are not accessible to members. I'll start a range day zeroing my rifle at the 100 yard bay using paper targets, then move to the steel targets. I shoot a Tikka Tact A1 65CM with factory Federal GM 140gr SMK or Berger Hybrid (no comments from the Peanut Gallery please...unless you can't help yourself!). The goal is to build habit patterns and skills for long range shooting and eventually long range hunting (but maybe not with this rifle). Shooting prone, I feel somewhat confident in my ability to consistently hit various sized steel targets up to 600 or 700 yards. The problem is, I can make the steel ring, but I have no clue how accurate my shots are. I can typically guess where a shot hits by how the steel moves. But this is very different from what many of you do where you are able to repaint your steel targets or use paper targets long range to actually see the group size (precision) and POI (accuracy). With my range limitations, what should I focus on next? Should I start with the larger steel targets and then work to get consistent with smaller and smaller targets? I think some of the larger round targets are probably 36" and maybe the small round ones are down to 8", but I'll have to confirm this with the range officers. I guess I could go into the desert and set up my own long-range paper targets (many do this in the Queen Valley area east of Phoenix). I just feel that ringing steel gets me so far in my development, and I'd like to know what I should do to continue my development. I could participate in the local Arizona Precision Rifle club matches which might be good for practicing various shooting positions. Thoughts on all of this?
We use 24" worn out disc harrow blades which hang from a re-bar frame. We have them set at 620,780,930, and 1210 yds. They make the a great ring and you can't wear them out like AR500 steal. We paint them white so its easy to see the hit and you can use your hash marks in the scope to measure the hit from bulls-eye. Your club may actual switch to the blades which is cheap. I post earlier, so you can see what it looks like.

We use 24" worn out disc harrow blades which hang from a re-bar frame. We have them set at 620,780,930, and 1210 yds. They make the a great ring and you can't wear them out like AR500 steal. We paint them white so its easy to see the hit and you can use your hash marks in the scope to measure the hit from bulls-eye. Your club may actual switch to the blades which is cheap. I post earlier, so you can see what it looks like.
Great idea, sendero72. Yes, I found your disc picture. Wish I had a set up like this. I'll mention this to range management. Those discs, new, can be quite expensive, especially the thicker ones (10mm+). Maybe the farmers are ok giving the worn out ones away and not selling for scrap?

Great idea, sendero72. Yes, I found your disc picture. Wish I had a set up like this. I'll mention this to range management. Those discs, new, can be quite expensive, especially the thicker ones (10mm+). Maybe the farmers are ok giving the worn out ones away and not selling for scrap?
I got mine from my friend who farm's my place. He farms 4000 acres so that eats a lot of disc blades. You don't need that many, so I think one of your farmers would help you out. I'll measure the thickness the next time I'm on the farm.

We use a Spotter and phone scope set up for all of my long range shots . 732. 1386 , 1 mile on a milk jug , 2056 on a 18 " x 18" plate swinger and then my furthest to date ..3027 yards on a 36" 36" steel swinging plate!
Cant tell you how much fun it is !
Yes this was in Montana also !
Good times with my Buddy !

Oh by the way ...this Rifle ain't no Creedmore ! 😃😃
But you have to shoot what you have !
Good Luck ! View attachment 473064

Rum Man
That scope height and angle is crazy!

Another L3 rifle at 1210 yds / 7 mag / 162 gr eldx.
IMG_0434 (1).jpg