After 40 years I'm getting a divorce over a slim, lightweight model.

• Thread starter Deleted member 120585
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 120585

My long standing STW heavy-canon relationship has dwindled. After 40 plus years, although I really do love that gun (all 11 lbs 10 ounces with 3 in the magazine), I made the mistake of picking up a Kimber Mountain ascent 280ai. Over 2k later I'm just getting to the scope, any recommendations on a tough lightweight scope? Use would be two-fold: some target shooting out to maybe 800 yds and hunting primarily deer and elk under 400 -I'm thinking maybe VX-6HD 2-12X42. Any experienced recommendations on a scope - very reliable, lightweight as possible, and good for some close-in shots as well as longer distances. Best regards. Bruce

Looks like you have already chosen a excellent choice. I have a 3/18x50 VX6HD that I thought about changing to a 5/25x50 MK5HD but decided to keep it. I personally have 50+mm objective Leupold scopes on 95% of my firearms and am very happy with light and field of view. I just picked up my 4th MK5 HD yesterday and I wish I could change all my scopes to the MK5. In my opinion the VX6 and MK5 are excellent scopes and you cannot go wrong. MADE IN USA no need to look any further, you made a great choice!

You mention tough and reliable so I'll say Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42. Fairly lightweight at 20 oz, illuminated (green and red), great field of view on the low end and enough magnification on the upper end for the distances you mentioned, available in Mils and MOA, and they're as tough as they come. I have two of these on my lighter weight rifles and absolutely love them. Pick up one of these and you won't have to worry about a second "divorce" down the road!

My long standing STW heavy-canon relationship has dwindled. After 40 plus years, although I really do love that gun (all 11 lbs 10 ounces with 3 in the magazine), I made the mistake of picking up a Kimber Mountain ascent 280ai. Over 2k later I'm just getting to the scope, any recommendations on a tough lightweight scope? Use would be two-fold: some target shooting out to maybe 800 yds and hunting primarily deer and elk under 400 -I'm thinking maybe VX-6HD 2-12X42. Any experienced recommendations on a scope - very reliable, lightweight as possible, and good for some close-in shots as well as longer distances. Best regards. Bruce
I had planned to get or build a light or medium weight 280AI years ago. Committed by buying dies, so I had to get a gun. Also found a vx6 2-12 for it several years ago. Never mounted it on anything, just held it in reserve for the 280. Stumbled into a CA Ridgeline 280ai and put an nxs 5.5-22 on it. It shoots so well consistently that I cant bear to split up the happy couple. So much for my medium weight 280/2-12x plans. I hope you can go lighter than a big nxs!

Last edited:
What's wrong with a harem?
(Ignoring your optics question, responding to the OP title.)