A little experiment I'm doing

Overkill338

I shoot a Ruger M77 MkII All Weather, in .300 Win Mag. It is now wearing a Hogue stock, and I have polished the barrel and reciever to a mirror like shine :D

Anyway, I was running a Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 on it. I definetly like more zoom. So just for kicks, I went to my friend's shop and picked up a Bushnell Trophy 6-18x40. I'm wanting to see how well/long it holds up. I shoot this gun quite a bit.

First thing I noticed, it was very clear, even on 18x. Thats a good thing. But the bad is, the 1/4" clicks, dont seem to be a 1/4" click at all. It acts more like a 1/8" click, even though all paperwork and web info say 1/4". Also there is play in the adjustment knobs, you can wobble the knob back and forth a tad without actually clicking it.

I'm going back to the range on Friday to test it. Best groups with the Leupold and factory Hornady 180gr Heavy Mags, was .783" 3 shot, at 100yds. I'm hoping the extra zoom helps me pull that in tighter. Rough zeroing the scope in I fired 8 rounds, then a 3 shot group with 150gr Rem CoreLokts, and got .9" off of a shaky rest. I will be logging all shots from here on out.

Anyway, wish me luck, and here is a pic of the rifle wearing the Leupold.

MKII.jpg

I'll bet your surprised on how may rounds it will handle. Back in the day I use inexpensive scopes exclusively. Some I never had problems with and some I did.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts