I'm about to just plain buy a scope

Ycreek

I have seriously made myself crazy in the last two weeks. I bought a 22-250 with the intentions of learning long distance shooting. I immediately started researching scopes and have decided that the only way to figure out what any of these articles and reviews are talking about is to just buy one. I mean, I understand the difference between 1st and 2nd focal plane. I get it. I understand the difference between MOA and MIL. However, these understandings of mine, are theoretical. I have NO IDEA which combination of these would be my best choice "out of the gate". I want to start coyote hunting and 5-600 yd shots could easily come about. My only scope experience is with my Leupold VX-II 3-9x40. It has a basic duplex reticle and is mounted on top of my 270. It's sighted in at 100yds. When a deer walks into a range where I feel comfortable, I put it on him and pull the trigger. I'm too uneducated on the subject of long range to even ask an intelligent question. Somebody give me some guidance! I can't let this rifle sit here "unscoped" any longer!

There sure are alot of choices out there! When I first started this, a friend who is a LE "sharpshooter" took me to the range and showed me everything about using target knobs with MOA adjustments. The scope was a Leupold vari-x II 6-18. I still like the "click" method with moa adjustments, but that's all I've ever used. In your situation, you might want a reticle like the Nikon BDC, cause the coyotes might not hang around long enough for you to adjust your knobs. Good luck, just pick something and start using it, you'll figure out what you like eventually!

It is the hardest piece of equipment to get right the first time. Scope magnification should be simple based on your individual purpose and preference. ffp vs sfp is really a question of weather you plan on using the reticule or dialing and using a rang finder. In either case at some point you will find that "my ideal" scope for coyote hunting out to 5-600 yards sucks for you or vise a versa. It is impossible to say until you know what you love or hate. Keep it simple:#1 Some kind of reticle= mil dot, bdc or anything that has several reference points to at least decide weather that is useful to you, I like the basic mil dot. #2 Reliable tracking. #3 a warranty to assure you of a sound investment............................... Everything else is subjective, subject to individual preference and perspective. Scope make, glass quality, magnification, how much is too much, it is all individual. What have you decided on so far?

Thank you both for the replies. What I'm thinking right now is a plain Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 w/ the BDC reticle. As I'm sure all of you know, its a 2nd focal plane scope. Everything I've read indicates that the "hash marks" are reliable at the magnification on which the scope was zeroed. Is this right? That worries me a little.

Vortex is a fairly safe bet in budget and reliability. The bdc reticle is not my first choice but the sub-tensions are listed on there website as are the magnification setting needed to be accurate spacing on the second focal plain. As far as what distances the hash marks will represent: it will depend on your load. The center of the cross hair will be zeroed at all magnifications just like your 3x9 or any other scope.

For a relatively inexpensive scope that you can use for varmints and learn how to use with turrets consider the Vortex Viper in 6.5-20x44 from CameraLandNY:

Vortex - Camera Land NY

$279 shipped with the V-plex reticle.
I've got one of these on my 257 Weatherby and really like it. No, it's not one of my Zeiss scopes but it is far better than you'd expect for the money and it works very, very well.

That's a hard question to answer. If I weren't such a layman, I'd know what I could spend to get the most bang for the buck. I will, however, say that I don't feel comfortable dropping more than $800 on a scope that surely, for me, is certain to be a gamble. Is 2nd fp going to be different on 13 power vs. 19 or 20? I really like the Leupold "pyramid" style BDC but I don't know that, in my neophyte condition, it's worth the extra cash. To what scopes are you referring? I really am trying to learn something here. Yall are helping me out more than you can even imagine.

Ok. I don't like the BDC reticle in the Vortex either but I feel that anything is going to be a gamble. I "feel" like i like Leupold's "pyramid" style BDC but at 3-400 more is it worth it when I don't know what to expect in the 1st place. My budget will allow up to $900-$1000 but, being frugal, I'd hate to guess wrong. I'm beginning, though, to think that there's no way around that. I'm planning on giving the whole Eastern Montana Mule Deer thing a try this Nov. and if I can figure out the new scope on the 250, I'll be mounting a new, possibly adj. turret, scope on the .270. Talk about jumping in with both feet. Ahhhhhhh.........

What rifle is the 22/250 ? For the $$$$$ you mentioned you can get a very nice scope. I just bought a Zeiss HD5 5x25x50 1" tube scope and because the rifle its mounted on now is going back to gun smith I'll be mounting that on my 22/250. Bushnell elites are fine. Sightron S2 and S3 are very good. Burris signature scopes are very good. But I'm partial to my Zeiss HD5 . I also have a Weaver tactical FFP reticule its glass gives up very little to my Zeiss HD5. Some guys love the Vortexs .. What power range do you want. What will you use this rifle for ?

Second focal plain means the reticle stays the same size but the size of your target changes as you zoom in or out so the spacing of the reticle's bdc will change whereas a first focal plain means the reticle will shrink or expand as you zoom to keep the spacing of the bdc the same in relation to the target at all powers. There is always "a better one" but I think the vortex is a good start. If you had enough experience to know exactly what you wanted I would always recommend spending as much as you can......but then again like I said earlier, the scope is the hardest equipment to get right first time out of the gait without knowing exactly what you like and how you will actually end up using it, that is more reticule hold over or dialing in.

After all the bad things I've heard people say since I bought it, I'm a little embarrassed to say but it's a 700 VTR. I'm going to use it on Coyotes and other predators.

People say allot of things, some good / some bad, some right / some wrong. The truth could be all of the above. Nothing to be embarrassed about and if you try it out you will KNOW for yourself what the truth is. Some are junk and the next one in the same rack might be Golden. Test it out, fix it if it needs fixing but don't be embarrassed.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.