Advice

JOSH 03

I'd like to preface this thread by saying I'm not looking for any inside information or secret honey holes. As a long time hunter, I know how hard you fellas and gals work for your hunting spots.
A quick background, I am a flat lander by birth. I grew up in the Mts (chuckle) of PA but had the fortunate experience to spend quite a bit of time training in the Sierra Nevada range and working over seas in the Hindu Kush range. I fell in love with the physical challenge and scenic rewards the back country offers, it is indeed addicting.
As I begin the planning phase, I'm looking for some advice on what areas I could begin backpack hunting. As far as quarry, I'm not to particular but as of now it will most likely be a solo project, so I think that puts elk out of the question. Logistically, do most of you fly or drive to your destinations? Water? Pack in or carry filtration systems? Set up a spike near the vehicle and return frequently or just strike out on a several day hunt in what looks to be a favorable area carrying your required gear? Just looking for some general information to get me pointed in the right direction and where I should be looking. I appreciate the help, thanks in advance.

Josh

Josh, there are lots of good folks and experience on this website however, most of this site is geared more towards long range hunting. My suggestion for you is to check out rokslide.com which is a site tailored specifically for backpack hunting. A lot of guys on this site also belong to rokslide. Check it out----it will answer all your questions.

Randy

...As far as quarry, I'm not to particular but as of now it will most likely be a solo project, so I think that puts elk out of the question. Logistically, do most of you fly or drive to your destinations? Water? Pack in or carry filtration systems? Set up a spike near the vehicle and return frequently or just strike out on a several day hunt in what looks to be a favorable area carrying your required gear? ...
Josh

Don't take elk out of the equation! I pack out all of the elk I shoot solo. The short answer to your post: Do your research and figure out what you need to do to pack in and set up camp several miles from any road, in an area that does not allow motor vehicles. Pack in a water filter assuming there is plenty of water in the mountains you'll be hunting. And get in shape.

Being solo I think your only option would be to drive to wherever you're hunting. Maybe some guys fly and have it figured out how to get their meat home, but I've never done that. As far as I know, there are not any butcher shops that also package and ship meat out.

Thanks for the help fellas.

Mtnwrunner, I checked out Rokslide and there is a ton on there, thank you

Timber, thanks for the tips, you confirmed the route that I was thinking. I'll start looking at areas that dont provide too much vehicle access. Kudos to you on packing out your elk, that is a feat. I agree with you on staying in shape, that is the one variable that I can control. I try to stay in a constant state of readiness. 15 to 20 miles a week running, weighted pack runs sparingly(25-35lb) and weights. I'm lucky that my job requires me to stay in some sort of shape in order to be successful. The one thing I dont have here is elevation. I'm barely at 1000ft. I do know from previous experience that even on the flat land, hard work will pay off once you get into elevation.

Thanks again.

Josh

Josh,

I can tell what i do to get started. First i would pick a state or 2 that have a decent chance at getting a tag. Also look for wilderness areas that are big enough to get away from people. Some wilderness areas simply are not big enough to get very far from the main horse trails. Find a map of the area that will show the trails then look for country where you can put some distance between you and the main trails. If your not already get good at using maps and google earth and pick a place to start. Have a back up area just in case. Then get after it. I think the hardest part is finding a good spot, thats why no one talks about where they go.

Figuring it all out is the real adventure if you ask me

Good luck.

I do know from previous experience that even on the flat land, hard work will pay off once you get into elevation.

Josh

so true. being in shape is being in shape, regardless of the elevation. Might have to stop a bit more, but when you're hiking, hunting or packing out at elevation, it's not a race. Good luck in figuring out what and where to hunt. But you should give Colorado a try, I sure like it. :)

Wyo, Definitely proficient with both topos and GPS. I'm currently sifting through the regs for several states. It is amazing the difference between the western states and their regulations. So many different units each with their own regulations, and processes. I dont blame anyone for not sharing their spots, totally understandable, considering the effort that goes into it.

Timber, I've heard great things about Colorado. I know there is several units that offer over the counter tags, I'm sure they see a lot of hunting pressure.

Timber, I've heard great things about Colorado. I know there is several units that offer over the counter tags, I'm sure they see a lot of hunting pressure.

That's the whole reason why you find an area that does not allow motor vehicles, and then get in shape to pack in at least a few miles from any road. I hunt an OTC unit with low pressure and shoot an elk every year. If you put in the effort trust me that you can find a great spot. It's not easy, and that's why good spots don't have too much pressure... The general hunting public gives up long before they find a great spot and isn't in shape to hunt rugged country where you have to pack in.

#1 rule

Be mentally prepared!

It is too easy to just turn around and sleep in a comfy bed at a hotel, vehicle seat with the heater rollin, etc. Out of shape, craving a real meal, creature comforts are not an excuse. You absolutely have to want to see what is on the other side of the mountain (on top?) You will want the hardest mother nature can throw to bring the game down and into more accessible areas. Yet, you are able to sit down and glass for 8hrs at a time. You need a combination of ADHD to cover ground and Hyperfocus syndrome to know where the game is going.

Most folks that attempt and read about backpack hunting will last a grand total of 1 season before becoming too bored or lazy.

I love punishment!

Josh,

Ha! Me too, I came to Nevada from Erie, PA. The western mountains are beautiful but kinda "tall".

Go to the "Backpacking Light" website to the forums and use "search" for topics on tents, bags, packs, mattresses cooking, etc. To use the forums and read the articles by professionals you need to get a $25. membership. That money will save you MUCH money on gear and steer you in the right direction.

Remember, you will also be carrying abourt 10 to 12 lbs. of scoped rifle, ammo, binoculars, hunting knife, gutting gloves and gallon Zip-Loc bags, paper towels, etc. in addition to your gear.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.