Need advice - Backpack upgrade

wilkup

I'm planning to upgrade my hunting pack and hopefully utilize a Black Friday sale to save a little money.
I've got buddies that swear by their Kifaru, Kuiu Pros, Mystery Ranch (which I have) and Exos.
I used an Eberlestock F1 Mainframe with various attachments for a few years before I graduated myself to a Mystery Ranch. Both of these are quite heavy systems and I'm looking to cut a lot of weight.
I'm not set on one yet, but have narrowed those under consideration.
I have never owned anything from Kuiu that wasn't bombproof, so their pack is quite high on my list.
A newer player in the game is Initial Ascent. I really like what they're about and the pack system they offer. They supposedly carry better as the weight gets heavier.
The other I'm considering is the Exo K3, just because tons of guys love this one. Joseph Von Benedikt gave their pack a glowing review and endorsement after paying for one himself for a recent hunt he did.
Anyone have experience with all three packs or one at the very least, feel free to sound off and sway me towards one of these three.

Last edited:
I will put in one for Kuiu to sway you that direction. I have used mine a bunch of times and most recently did a 115 mile section hike of the JMT with it. Not one blister, abrasion, or even red mark. Went with my mother who had a ultralight Gossamer Gear pack that left 6 inch blisters on both hips and discoloration over her shoulder. Met another guy with one on the trail who had broken his collar bone and could only run a Kuiu because it kept the pressure off his shoulder. Plenty of other great packs out there, but the Kuiu is definitely a nice and lightweight option that takes more after backpacking and mountaineering gear as opposed to Eberlestock and Kifaru which seem more military inspired with heavy Cordura and MOLLE webbing. Check out Stone Glacier as well.

The only one I have experience with is the kuiu pro. It is several years old and I have the 3200 bag on it. I use it as my day pack, meat pack and if I'm packing in I feel it works for about 3 days. It's the only pack I ever used that I can say I've never had sore shoulders or sore anything. Handles a hind quarter of an elk just fine. Have only had one issue with it. One of the shoulder straps got so it wouldn't stay in the right place where it hooks into the carbon frame. Called kuiu and they immediately shipped me a complete new set. I'm sure they make lots of good packs but for a quality light weight pack kuiu isn't too bad. One thing I would say about packs in general and you probably already know this. But taking the time to set them up correctly can make a big difference. Good luck with your decision

I admittedly have only used kuiu. I have the 7000 LT and have used it a couple times... Love it! It can compress down for use as a day pack or expand enough for multiple days. The hip belt is angled perfectly for my hips and the shoulder straps are super comfortable. Well layed out, to boot.

Did you look at SG? Love these frames;

I was in this same boat earlier this year. I ended up purchasing a EXO 3200 so far I really like it. Packed out two bulls and haven't had any issues. Wish I have purchased one sooner. IMO the folks at EXO thought about everything when designing these packs. It is really comfortable and will always recommend these packs. The customer service at EXO is second to none. Jake helped me out on deciding which pack would best suit my needs and that's when I decided on the 3200. However I do not have any experience with the other packs you are considering. Good idea would be to try out your buddies packs and see which one fits you best.

I've owned a Kuiu and two Exo packs. The Kuiu was a great pack, but really hurt my hips and lower back. My current pack is the Exo 4800. It compresses down to daypack size, but fully loaded can take you into the woods for several days. I've packed deer, elk, and moose with it, so it's bulletproof.

Exo's customer service is second to none. They offer a military/first responder discount and generally have a big sale around Thanksgiving.

Good morning and I will throw in a thought for you knowing you have already narrowed your choices. Nimrod Outdoors packs have been on my back for hundreds of hunts, thousands of miles the last 25 years and I continue to use the product line. The new carbon fiber back frame is absolutely incredible. Give them a look or give Nate the owner a call. They are made in the USA also, Idaho. Many of the others like Eberlestock and mystery ranch are based in the US, claim to be USA manufactured, but if you look inside you will find a tag from another country. Like Pakistan or Vietnam.

Just another thought.

Give them a look and give Nate a call.