Looking for Tent advice.

I am planning on picking one up next year to try out. Either that or the Megatarp from Kifaru...

The more I use trekking poles the more I won't hunt without them. They are a MUST for myself on the hike in or trek out or with heavy loads... take a bit to get used to but every person that tries them, ultimately uses them.

Mike

Yep, I think trekking poles are absolutely a must as well. I spent many years climbing and hunting dissing them in a way, but have come full circle, especially when it comes to packing 100+ lb. load x-country, and especially while doing so in steep downhill (or any downhill) situation. They can save you from a nasty fall and save your knees when going downhill if used properly. But, you have to know how to properly adjust the straps and properly use the straps to get the max out of them, although in more technical terrain going downhill I will often not use the straps at all so that can quickly jettison a pole if I feel like I might fall in such a way that the pole being attached to me could make things worse.

But, I don't like the idea of having a shelter that must be supported by trekking poles as I often do not pack my shelter with me and hunt a day or two from a basecamp and want my shelter to stay upright while I'm gone. At 2lbs. 3 oz., the TarpTent Rainbow is hard to beat in that regard as it is very roomy and has a ton of flexible pitching options. It can be made to be 'free standing' with the use of trekking poles and the trekking poles can be used in a different way to add support to the shelter if there was a big snowfall, for instance. The vestibule is particualrly flexible in it's various pitching options. The Stratospire has less floor room (unless 'expanded') and requires trekking pole use or another pole (add. 4 oz. for TarpTent's poles for this purpose to make it heavier than the Rainbow) to make it work and it weighs only 2 oz. less than the Rainbow, the Rainbow including it's pole in that weight, while being less expensive. So, you just have to pick and choose what's important to you and works for your style of hunting.

I have a GoLite SL3 tipi. It is absolutely spacious with one person as I can pack all my gear inside with me. I also have the nest, so I can use it floorless as I did on a recent backpack hunt in Idaho or with the nest as I do around here in warm weather to keep the creepie crawlies from carrying me off. Without the nest it weighs a little over 2 pounds and will compact down pretty small. I intend to "upgrade" next to a SeekOutside Backcountry Shelter. This company builds them one at a time in the good ole USA and they stand behind their quality product. I've never heard a negative comment about their tipis and shelters.
Seek Outside::Ultralight Tipi VersaShelter

The backcountry shelter:
Lightweight Backcountry shelter

The way Sierra gets that weight on these tents is to use superlight (won't take much abuse) matierals--20 denier and 40 denier fabrics. Now, these light fabrics that are silicone coated are quite strong, but typically tent manufacturers use a polyurethane coating or silicone/poly mix and these can drastically reduce the strength of the fabric where the silicone (stretches with the fabric) ends up being much stronger in tests. Judging by the 3000mm watertight floor ratings, I'm guessing that Sierra is not using silicone. It's atypical to get that high of a rating if using silicone, but they don't specify. So, I'm always a bit leery to go to light on these materials. There are some new coatings, but I'm not sure what they are doing to fabric strength. The Mojo also uses a partial fly it appears--this is a long time Sierra tactic that does lighten the tent, but not without consequences. This means that part of the tent body itself will be made with a 'waterproof' material as it is directly exposed to the elements, which means that part of the tent wall will be more likely to develop condensation on the inside, in your living space, because if it's watertight material, watervapor cannot exit the tent wall there. The Mojo also has just one door, it appears, and an end door at that. Personally over the years, i've become a big fan of the large and easy entry and exit side doors and double vestibules so that each person had their own door and vestibule to store their gear. Just makes life in the tent more comfortable and enjoyable.

The Marmot Earlylight (3p version as well) uses 68 and 70 denier materials that will be stronger and likely provide more years of service if taken care of, not that the Mojo wouldn't do the same if treated very well--it just has less of a chance to do so from the get go due to manufacturer fabric choices in an effort to show a reduced weight. There's nearly alwasy a trade off for this. I was looking at kids using the Earlylight and thought that it might be a good idea not to shave weight too much in the fabric department with kids that might not fully grasp the concept of being very careful with the tent.

Also, take a good look at the Tarptent Double Rainbow: Tarptent Ultralight Shelters At 2lbs. 9 oz. it's hard to beat. The floor is not quite as durable and watertight as I'd like (get a floor saver), but many are very, very pleased with the design. I own the regular 'single' Rainbow and think that for a very comfortable, 3-season, 1 man tent at 2 lbs. 3 oz. it's very, very hard to beat for $245. Henry buys the same materials from the same supplier that I do and I know that the silicone coated fabrics he uses are very strong.

Im resending my reccomendation for the Sierra Mojo 3. This thing leaked through the single wall section of the ceiling and due to the pole structure left very little room inside the tent. If there are two people it the tent you will touch the sides of the tent and your bag will get wet and then you get cold...stupid me sorry guys. So now like all my stuff its time to stop dealing with the "b" team and step up to the varsity level...Im getting a hilleberg Nallo 2 GT.

Im resending my reccomendation for the Sierra Mojo 3. This thing leaked through the single wall section of the ceiling and due to the pole structure left very little room inside the tent. If there are two people it the tent you will touch the sides of the tent and your bag will get wet and then you get cold...stupid me sorry guys. So now like all my stuff its time to stop dealing with the "b" team and step up to the varsity level...Im getting a hilleberg Nallo 2 GT.

You will be very happy with the Hilleberg tents. They truly are top notch. A LOT of the Swedes I come across out in the woods or go camping with own and swear by these tents. Considering the Nallo 2 GT costs around 7500SEK here IN SWEDEN which is over $1100 at the current exchange rate, you stand to get one in the states for a great price too.

You will be very happy with the Hilleberg tents. They truly are top notch. A LOT of the Swedes I come across out in the woods or go camping with own and swear by these tents. Considering the Nallo 2 GT costs around 7500SEK here IN SWEDEN which is over $1100 at the current exchange rate, you stand to get one in the states for a great price too.

I can get one here WITH a footprint for around $650 US with my good guy deal. And by the way my mom reminds me all the time that I'm "sweedish" or of sweedish decent. I guess thats where the addiction to pickled hearing comes from! HAHA! Should be a good tent.

I have a GoLite SL3 tipi. It is absolutely spacious with one person as I can pack all my gear inside with me. I also have the nest, so I can use it floorless as I did on a recent backpack hunt in Idaho or with the nest as I do around here in warm weather to keep the creepie crawlies from carrying me off. Without the nest it weighs a little over 2 pounds and will compact down pretty small. I intend to "upgrade" next to a SeekOutside Backcountry Shelter. This company builds them one at a time in the good ole USA and they stand behind their quality product. I've never heard a negative comment about their tipis and shelters.
Seek Outside::Ultralight Tipi VersaShelter

The backcountry shelter:
Lightweight Backcountry shelter

+1 for the seek outside back country shelter. If for two men get the extra panel.

Hi Everyone !!!
We would like to begin camping again this summer, but haven't done any since before our children were born. Please advice how to determine the best choices for our investment. We need 1 with a lot of room and at least room for an air mattress. We would prefer 1 with multiple rooms option but do not want poor quality. Anyone know anything about Turbo Tents? Any advice- will be great.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.