Need advice for Colorado elk hunt

Coach J, I'm an hour west of Nashville and went on my first elk hunt to CO last year.

I did a solo, DIY, OTC tag, public land, archery backpack hunt and wound up killing a nice 6X6 about 3.5 miles in on day 5 after relocating camp three times to get on them.

What questions do you have? I was in your shoes last year, and I remember feeling overwhelmed by it all....there is just so much stuff to consider. There is already a ton of information out there, but it's hard to tell what is solid info and what is white noise. I'll help any way I can.

Nathan

Sounds like you've had some great adventures. My brother has taken a couple elk and the size of these things are amazing. I've killed some good whitetail bucks but there is a lot of difference between a 200 lb deer and an elk. I can only imagine what a close encounter at 30 yards must be like. I expect it is one heck of an adrenaline rush! Again, thanks for the input.
Coach, there are three things i did not see anyone suggest to bring and can be very important for your hunt.
1- A small oxygen bottle and mask if you can obtain them.
2- Baby Wipes! You will need them as the air is much drier than what you are use to. I live in Louisiana and believe me when i tell you don't leave home without it. You will see what i mean on your first BM.
3- Lip balm and hand lotion are good to have also.

Good luck on your hunt and pay the search and rescue fee! You never know as those mountains are enormous.

Coach, there are three things i did not see anyone suggest to bring and can be very important for your hunt.
1- A small oxygen bottle and mask if you can obtain them.
2- Baby Wipes! You will need them as the air is much drier than what you are use to. I live in Louisiana and believe me when i tell you don't leave home without it. You will see what i mean on your first BM.
3- Lip balm and hand lotion are good to have also.

Good luck on your hunt and pay the search and rescue fee! You never know as those mountains are enormous.
Last year I went up to gmu65 in CO. a week before season , I arrived 5 days before my buddy and his wife did. I mark ked the campsight on google earth and downloaded the cords to the gps . I arrived at day break at the campsight and the snow was comming down and 21f , at that point I was realy asking my self what had I gotten in to. I preceeded to set up camp and get a long nap after driving most of the night. I woke to a clear sky that after noon. It had been 16 years since I made a elk trip to CO , so not being in super shape my plan was to take is slow in the 10k foot air. Yes I would get winded constantly but after a couple of days it got better ( not great) If I got tired I rested If I got hungry I ate, I got sleeply so I even took a nap on the side of a mtn one day but one thing is for sure things have a way of being enjoyable up there . I'm not gonna lug around a small oxy bottle but the other things listed are needed . Keep you a small roll of duct tape with you it is a great fire starter . The best thing you can bring with you is a open mind with a flexable approach. The rockies are a place you do not have to kill somthing to have a greate trip. The five days I spent alone was actually the best part of the trip I learned that my self reliance was up to the task. I say elk daily . This year I plan to arrive just 3 days before season since I know the terraine in the area. and will have the hole 2nd rifle season to hunt if necessary . You may consider cooking some of your parties meals ahead of time and freezing them at least if it is coald enough to keep them cool a few days . I bring frozen gumbo, pot roast, chili, tamales and any other thing I feel will be good for supper . I saves a lot of time when you return to camp after a long days hunt(just warm it up). this place is a wealth of knowledge Good luck and keep asking questions? Michael

Baby wipes are good, I like wet naps better for packing. As for the Oxygen I have not needed it yet I do take high altitude pills along just I case I get sick while am up there. I did guide a guy that got pretty sick we had to change our game plan to accommodate him, potassium pills will make a work of difference if you start taking them befor the hunt

Baby wipes are good, I like wet naps better for packing. As for the Oxygen I have not needed it yet I do take high altitude pills along just I case I get sick while am up there. I did guide a guy that got pretty sick we had to change our game plan to accommodate him, potassium pills will make a work of difference if you start taking them befor the hunt

Where do you get the altitude pills at.lightbulb

You can say what ever you like, but I have been a mountaineer and a guide for over 10 years. I have not only witnessed how well it works but have used it myself. I also must add for hardly any money you can save yourself for altitude sickness but if you don't think it will work or it sounds foolish them your on your own.

You can say what ever you like, but I have been a mountaineer and a guide for over 10 years. I have not only witnessed how well it works but have used it myself. I also must add for hardly any money you can save yourself for altitude sickness but if you don't think it will work or it sounds foolish them your on your own.
I have never had any debilitating symptoms hunting around 10k I start a diet and exercise program on July 1 to try in be in the best shape I can but I would love to know what I could do to have more wind to limit the number of stops required to catch my breath. I will certanly ask my doctor about a pill that will help. Any other suggestions for preparing physically to hunt the high country is appreciated.

Coachj,

I'm going to give you some specific advice that I hope you find helpful. Before I do I want you to swear you will not let this get you discouraged in any way. These are lessons I have learned personally over the past 6 years and I wish I had someone giving me the following advice. It has been frustrating at times (to say the very least), but I have learned a great deal compared to when I was strictly a WI whitetail hunter. and so will you.
Do not rely on the locals, especially those who own hunting related stores. I have a story about one such archery shop owner in Pagosa Springs that I now kindy refer to as "Lying Larry". Hunting is good for their business and economy. Those who are local residents likely hunt themselves and won't be cluing you in on what they have learned over their lifetime out of the kindness of their hearts. They see out of state hunters every year looking for the same thing you are looking for.
If you are going in 5 miles, you won't be strolling out and heading to town mid-week. First, you won't want to make that trek but one more time. You will be questioning your sanity later in the week wondering "am I seriously going to make at least two trips to pack this animal out if I get one." Second and more important, if you really want an elk you can't afford to waste an hour much less a day.....Trust me on that! If you pack in - stay in. You will be glad you did.

Take the other gentleman's advice about taking the first legal animal you have an opportunity to take.....It may be the only animal you see. Don't let the TV shows set the wrong expectations. This is really big country. Elk are not like whitetails where they circle around and go back to their home area if they get pushed. Elk clear out. Look for fresh sign - bite marks on the aspens, droppings.

Use your nose! Elk have a distinct musky smell. If they're close and upwind of you, you'll smell them.

You absolutely need to get away from the roads to get away from the people and into elk. This is easier said than done, especially if you haven't hunted country like this. It's intimidating when you first get in it, but then you figure out how to read the land. Consider this first hunt a scouting trip. I call it hiking with a weapon.

Go in as light as possible without sacrificing your safety. Every single ounce counts when the hunt is being done on foot.

Get a good elk hunting instructional book.
Do your physical preparation (I hike a ski hill). You can't over prepare for the hunt you're doing. It will take 3 days to get your wind then you'll feel like you can run a marathon.

Do your mental preparation. You might only see some distant elk, if any at all that first year. If you get into some stalk situations, consider that a triumph. If you get one.....Congratulations and savor every single bite of the best meat on earth!
I didn't intend to write a book here, but I have been where you are now. I know the excitement that has consumed you. Enjoy it because it will likely be shattered during this trip. A hunt like this leaves you exhausted, physically and mentally. You question your sanity for all the hours and money you poured into preparing for what was supposed to be the trip of a lifetime only to leave you wondering if there is an elk in the state at all.....but then you can't miss seeing your elk on another guy's truck! After all the disappointment and frustration, you will have your new and improved game plan for the following year decided before you even get home. Welcome to the addiction of elk hunting!

Feel free to send me a PM if I can help you further. I have researched a lot of gear as well.

And I thought I was the only guy that felt this way and wants to spend more on gear only to torture myself more severely . The only accurate info I have ever gotten from a local that didnot. involve him making a buck was the location of the city dump.

I'll echo all the comments on doing what you can to prepare for altitude sickness. I lived in southern KY for 4.5 years and the altitude was 600ft at the highest point in the county. TN is not much different your states highest altitude is lower that the starting point for your hunt. I have spent about 15 years backpacking in the Rockies and only had altitude sickness one time and ill not do that again. I was young and in good shape and thought i could run up the side of the mountains. I didn't really notice the lack of oxygen but when i got to camp the first night which was only about 8500 ft I felt like crap! I laid in the tent all the next day wondering what went wrong. A few years later i took several friends and one of the guys brought his girlfriend and she got it so bad we had to carry her down. My best advice is take it slow and rest ALOT as you are packing in. It does not mean you are a wuss it means you are smart; the longer your body has to acclimate the better you will feel. I would hate to loose a day if i only had 8 to hunt. Stop and look at stuff smell the flowers talk to people on the trail anything to keep yourself from getting too excited and rushing.

AS for skills you should work on orienteering pick a point on your map and get there using just a compass. Gps receivers get broke and Colorado is a big place to be lost.

Pack light! Every pound will feel like 10 when you are on the side of a steep mountain.

If you are walking in you will have to bone out the entire elk to get it home. Don't forget the knife sharpener and a tarp to keep the dirt and grass off the meat. Just plan on spending a whole day boning the elk out because it will save you two days of packing quarters out.

Man i hope you have fun it sounds like a great trip!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.