Advice on lightweight hunting pack

jaeger19

So looking for a new lightweight hunting pack. Currently have an x2 erbelstock. Great pack but i realize too heavy. I need a camo pack thats quiet. Waterproof would be good ..lightweight but can haul heavy weight like an elk quarter comfortably. Is there such a pack?

NO..............If you want to haul heavy loads (70 to 150 pounds) you need a sturdy pack, and to be sturdy it is not going to be light. And it is not going to be cheap either. Sorry. As to "Comfort", the comfort is found in two places, highest quality Hip Belt, and being one hell of a man that hauls heavy loads daily. Think about it, a packer that we hire to haul several heavy loads every day, for 80 days, is going to be more comfortable hauling heavy loads then someone who rarely does that.

Is there such a pack?

Last edited:
We haul quarters all the time on the ALPS COMMANDER. My boy brought out a full half on his. I bought the COMMANDER X. Brought out quarter and all the loose meat.
Getting to be my go to pack for elk.

So......is that the "Exact" same pack as "ALPS OutdoorZ Pursuit".......??? I looked them both up.......the only thing they have in common is the word "ALPS"....???So.....I stand by what I said about the: ALPS OutdoorZ Pursuit.

We haul quarters all the time on the ALPS COMMANDER. My boy brought out a full half on his. I bought the COMMANDER X. Brought out quarter and all the loose meat.
Getting to be my go to pack for elk.

NO..............If you want to haul heavy loads (70 to 150 pounds) you need a sturdy pack, and to be sturdy it is not going to be light. And it is not going to be cheap either. Sorry. As to "Comfort", the comfort is found in two places, highest quality Hip Belt, and being one hell of a man that hauls heavy loads daily. Think about it, a packer that we hire to haul several heavy loads every day, for 80 days, is going to be more comfortable hauling heavy loads then someone who rarely does that.
Well. See i have a backpacking pack. And i haul 70 pounds and more with it. And its way lighter than my erbelstock. But. ..its not camo and its not quiet.

Sounds like all you need is that pack, with a camo pack cover, made of very quiet material. It can even have a reversible waterproof inner layer that is all white for winter use.

Well. See i have a backpacking pack. And i haul 70 pounds and more with it. And its way lighter than my erbelstock. But. ..its not camo and its not quiet.

I was thinking of maybe some type of light frame that could be paired with a daypack. And then with a bigger backpack as well.. but the frame would be light but able to haul weight.
Have to admit..the idea of getting a good light backpacking pack and having a quiet cover is an interesting idea.

Th
I'm really a fan of the Mystery Ranch Metcalf. It is't light, but it carries a heavy load.
I use it for everything from multi night back pack hunts to my day pack.
Thanks. I checked it out. I checked out the reviews and it was interesting. The backpackers like me liked the hauling..but not the empty pack weight. Thanks for the lead.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.