Advice welcome, Newb going Elk hunting for the first time

Don't sit on your side by side or four wheeler in a blind thing next to the main rd. Or just stand next to a tree near a main hiking path in the timber. I saw this last year in Idaho, guys from out East, I tried giving them some tips and pointers because they had no clue how to hunt elk in this area. It was pretty comical actually. Ralphy the knucklehead bull may wander right into you but 99.9% of the time you got put boots on the ground steep n deep to find them.
OTC public land Goal for me everyday is to just see elk. Any more than that is a bonus. Been pretty lucky with the bonuses but I believe I go beyond mentally/physically/planning what 99% of the other hunters do. The day my hunt is over I'm planning for The following year. Good luck and enjoy the views.

Attachments

• D4875AF7-E6AA-4EC8-8691-23E35407D51D.jpeg
    D4875AF7-E6AA-4EC8-8691-23E35407D51D.jpeg
    34.6 KB · Views: 66
Don't sit on your side by side or four wheeler in a blind thing next to the main rd. Or just stand next to a tree near a main hiking path in the timber. I saw this last year in Idaho, guys from out East, I tried giving them some tips and pointers because they had no clue how to hunt elk in this area. It was pretty comical actually. Ralphy the knucklehead bull may wander right into you but 99.9% of the time you got put boots on the ground steep n deep to find them.
OTC public land Goal for me everyday is to just see elk. Any more than that is a bonus. Been pretty lucky with the bonuses but I believe I go beyond mentally/physically/planning what 99% of the other hunters do. The day my hunt is over I'm planning for The following year. Good luck and enjoy the views.
My challenge is, I'm so green I don't k ow how to plan the hunt. I'll learn a lot from my buddy that we are meeting out there. He kills a OTC archery Bull almost every year in Idaho. He's a great hunter, but will be learning the area just as I am. I think after this year, I'll have a much better idea about how to plan for next year.

The bulls will still be bugling before the first shots are fired. Try to cover as much territory as possible the nights before opening day and you will probably have one located. Most of our shots are from 300 to 600 yards. It will probably be warm during the day, so get the guts out and the hide off ASAP, don't pack bone. Shot placement is everything. We've taken 27 elk since the accubond long range bullets came out, all have been DRT, no tracking, they just work from 100 -700 yards. Good glass and spotting at first and last light will get you on more elk than any amount of hiking.

A few other things, if you are bringing your sxs get a cheap 12v air compressor and a plug kit.
I would assume you and your wife have good boots (lowa, kennatrek, Crispi)? If you don't get them now and put some miles on them. And always pack mole skin. Even with my well broke in boots I still have to use it every once in a while.
Trekking poles are a must for me for steep country especially loaded.
A good headlamp and another backup.
Water filter. I usually pack a lifestraw.
Multiple layers. Take them off as needed BEFORE you start sweating.
Lastly enjoy yourself and congratulations to you and your wife on the 10th anniversary. My wife and I have been married for 10 years this month. Can't imagine life without her and my boys.

Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately, we didn't get an Elk, but had an amazing time hunting. She's addicted, as am I and we're already planning our trip for next year. With all your awesome suggestions we didn't have any major equipment problems and just have a few adjustments for next year.

The best part, she wants to do a caribou hunt for our 20th anniversary! I definitely am blessed with a wife that loves the woods as much as me.

Thanks for all the advice. Unfortunately, we didn't get an Elk, but had an amazing time hunting. She's addicted, as am I and we're already planning our trip for next year. With all your awesome suggestions we didn't have any major equipment problems and just have a few adjustments for next year.

The best part, she wants to do a caribou hunt for our 20th anniversary! I definitely am blessed with a wife that loves the woods as much as me.!

Units 24, 12 and 231. It was a learning experience, there were so many hunters there it was insanity. Every camping spot was taken and the road had trucks all over it with people camping beside the roads. All the parking areas were filled with 20-30 trucks with camps scattered everywhere.

We got there a day late due to trailer problems and that really hindered our success. I'd trade the last two hunting days for another day of scouting, just to find some places with less hunting pressure.

If your hunting those areas let me know and I'll let you know some good areas, and places to avoid.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do better than us rookies.

Where did you end up hunting? I'm driving tomorrow and should get to Colorado tuesday
Units 24, 12 and 231. It was a learning experience, there were so many hunters there it was insanity. Every camping spot was taken and the road had trucks all over it with people camping beside the roads. All the parking areas were filled with 20-30 trucks with camps scattered everywhere.

We got there a day late due to trailer problems and that really hindered our success. I'd trade the last two hunting days for another day of scouting, just to find some places with less hunting pressure.

If your hunting those areas let me know and I'll let you know some good areas, and places to avoid.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do better than us rookies.
Our camping days and fighting crowds are over. We rent a house or cabin 30 minutes from our parking spot. Units 23/24 have a LOT of hunters. Lot of elk too but the serenity of not seeing anyone except maybe one or 2 hunters is worth it. We always see elk and more moose but they tend to see us first. Trappers lake is really pretty! Good luck next year. I never tried units 12 (over ripple Creek pass I think) or 231.