Advice for reloading the 7mm weatherby

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by dysphonic, Aug 21, 2013.

1. dysphonic

dysphonic Member

Hi there,

I am about to start reloading a 7mm weatherby mag in a mark v weatherby and would value some advice from those of you who have done so.

Normally when I begin a load work up I start by focusing on the powder charge. I tend to seat the bullets 0.01 - 0.02 off the lands (unless i am loading barnes tsx then i start at 0.04) and leave it there until I have identified the powder charge I will use. When that is done I play around with seating depth to see if I can tighten the groups.

However, with the extra free bore in the weatherby mark v I understand that it is unlikely I will be able to get that close to the lands.
    Should I instead use magazine length as a starting point and if so how far off that length should I back off-in terms of bullet seating?

Your thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers

2. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

Yes, magazine length will do just fine. That's what I do for my .257 Wby. I just seated them about 0.005-0.010" shy of the magazine length.

3. thatguyshm

thatguyshm Well-Known Member

+1. I do the same exact with my 257 WBY SUB MOA. Just check case length often as they like to grow if you shoot warm loads.

4. dysphonic

dysphonic Member

Excellent. Thanks for the replies:D