Need Advice - 7mm Weatherby Magnum

Just an update. I did find a fairly accurate combo that was on the hotter side. 76.4 gr RL25 pushing the 160 Accubonds to the tune of 3245. Unfortunately this combinations copper- fouls the sh!t out of the bore. I can only get about 3 -4 shots out of it before it's a dud.

I am very meticulous with my cleaning procedures. I exclusively use KG products with all of my firearms. I have attempted to polish the bore so much I'm afraid I'll start taking barrel life away!!

I even attempted to "re-brake" the barrel in (shoot 1 , full carbon/copper clean, repeat for 10; shoot 3 , full carbon/copper clean for 9, shoot 5, clean...)
The cleaning did get easier and the fouling did decrease a tad as I progressed through this, but I'm very weary of how much copper is still building up , even after 1
Shot!!

I think I wasted enough powder and bullets with the 160s...I will try and drop to 140gr Accubonds next. My only
Speculation is - does the barrel not like the Accubond bullet altogether?

Just an update. I did find a fairly accurate combo that was on the hotter side. 76.4 gr RL25 pushing the 160 Accubonds to the tune of 3245. Unfortunately this combinations copper- fouls the sh!t out of the bore. I can only get about 3 -4 shots out of it before it's a dud.

I am very meticulous with my cleaning procedures. I exclusively use KG products with all of my firearms. I have attempted to polish the bore so much I'm afraid I'll start taking barrel life away!!

I even attempted to "re-brake" the barrel in (shoot 1 , full carbon/copper clean, repeat for 10; shoot 3 , full carbon/copper clean for 9, shoot 5, clean...)
The cleaning did get easier and the fouling did decrease a tad as I progressed through this, but I'm very weary of how much copper is still building up , even after 1
Shot!!

I think I wasted enough powder and bullets with the 160s...I will try and drop to 140gr Accubonds next. My only
Speculation is - does the barrel not like the Accubond bullet altogether?
Try our Hammer Bullets. It is very rare that they copper foul. I have only seen one barrel that fouled. If you don't like them we will refund your money. Or contact me and we can do a sample pack.

Just an update. I did make some serious changes with my reloading techniques and tools. I upgraded my dies for the 7 WBY to a Redding bushing neck die. I size the neck down .002" and then body size /bump shoulder back .002" as well. Cases were all trimmed and weight sorted..

I have have enough N570 for the life of my other magnums that use it. So i decided to give it a try and also decided to give the 160gr accubond ONE LAST TRY!

I seated the bullet out to max max length and loaded up 76gr, 77gr, 78gr .... all the way up to 81gr. At 81gr it is very slightly compressed..

Upon my results this morning I am very pleased. All of the charge weights shot under 1" @100 yards. A few were just under .75" with 77gr being .294" @100.

With that being said I pay more attention to ES and SD during my charge weight testing. I did not hit pressure , but I believe to have found a higher node at 81gr. The group was .734" @100. AVG Velocity was 3180 , ES was 19 and SD was 10. No pressure whatsoever! Anyways going forwards, I intended to shoot charge weights of 80.4, 80.7, 81, 81.3, 81.7 , take the best from there and then proceed to adjust seating depths and test them at 300 yards.

Moral of the story is - I became much more consistent in my brass prep and I believe that was the underlying issue !

Results to come in the next week or so.

morning, not to b a smart ***. started with the .284.
then difference cartridges, neck up and down.
justme gbot tum

7mm Weatherby fans, I just want to update this with some valuable insight.

I also developed a load with Retumbo and Nosler 160gr Accubonds. The results supported the fact that I have really improved my reloading game. Also, the barrel settles down and shoots much better with some copper in it!

Norma Brass
80gr Retumbo
160gr Accubond
Fed 215
*Data from 15 rounds (Three 5 shot groups)*
Velocity AVG 3250 FPS
ES 13
SD 4
All 3 groups were .75 MOA or better @100 yards
COL - 3.4" (Base to Ogive 2.835")

I plan on taking it to shoot steel plates at long range soon (300, 450, 600, 700, 850). I'll update w/ results.

Last edited:
7mm Weatherby fans, I just want to update this with some valuable insight.

I also developed a load with Retumbo and Nosler 160gr Accubonds. The results supported the fact that I have really improved my reloading game. Also, the barrel settles down and shoots much better with some copper in it!

Norma Brass
80gr Retumbo
160gr Accubond
Fed 215
*Data from 15 rounds (Three 5 shot groups)*
Velocity AVG 3250 FPS
ES 13
SD 4
All 3 groups were .75 MOA or better @100 yards
COL - 3.4" (Base to Ogive 2.835")

I plan on taking it to shoot steel plates at long range soon (300, 450, 600, 700, 850). I'll update w/ results.
This used to be a factory offering and it shot absolutely fantastic and walloped everything it ran into. You'll be happy

I was able to get out this weekend and shoot. I had a 10mph crosswind and was very impressed with the way the 160gr accubonds handled the wind. I shot at ranges of 435, 575, 700 and 835 yards. All groups were very well and within my accepted level of accuracy with a 1980's Mark V with a factory barrel and 1-10" twist. The best group being a 4" 7-shot group @ 435. I shot right around a 9" 4-shot group @835. I did not notice stability issues at the extended range. - hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts