advice for a gong

It depends on distance and caliber. Something that would stand up to 300 Wby as close as 400 yards is 1" thick mild steel. The trouble with heavy plate is it doesn't make much of a clang. It makes a good "whack" sound. Armor plate you can get by with a lot thinner. I think it would be fun to get some heavy school or church bells to shoot at. Something you can hear better with your hearing protection on way out there. Here is a picture of the 500 yard gong we practice on. We practice how we hunt.
10008112kz.jpg

This one measure 8" wide by 10" tall.

Click search at top of page.
Select all forums to search.
Use keyword Gong in body and subject.
My username.
Date range newer than 4 years.

That should be enough to get you a good start.

I go through the dumpster behind one of the local mechanics when I need a new gong. I bring home the largest brake disk that I can find, and when it's shot up, I return it to the dumpster and pull out another one.

Well, if you are just going to be shooting at yourself, then 1" of armor plate will do. If you are on a gun club, 1" of armor plate will do, just plan on replacing it every other month due to all the armor piercing bullets on the market today!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.