Advice for a beginner

Jake23

Hi,

I have not been in the sport long and am looking for some advice on setting goals.

I have a Remington 700 in .308 Win. I know I can hit coins at 250 yards but past that I am not sure what sort of goals I should be setting myself. What are realistic targets for longer distances with this rifle and caliber?

I'm a newbie too, what I did/am doing is to just work my way out further a little at a time...I'm shooting 300 now, and plan to push it to 400 and hopefully further this summer. F-Class is good practice for reading wind, and at 300, 600 and 1000 yards provides a great challenge. I've shot 1 f-class shoot at 600, it was a blast, you find out that you are both better and worse than you thought you were. For target, the .308 will go out to 1k, and maybe 1200...for Game, I stick to where I'm confident, with the ultimate goal of 600 yards for deer size game

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.