Advice for a new RSO

DanGuy48

So, it looks like I'll be giving it a try as an RSO. I've already got my certifications and, though it's been a while, have spent a fair amount of time on indoor ranges (4 position smallbore competition). This will be an indoor range.

For those who have been, or currently are, RSOs, words of wisdom will be welcome. For those that shoot at ranges frequently which have RSOs, I'd be interested in hearing your pet peeves and also things that you think make your range experience a good one. My main goal in this is to do my best to make sure shooters have a safe experience that is also enjoyable. Thanks in advance.

Being an RSO IMO is not about pet peeves. It is about running a safe and functional range that people want to come to and enjoy shooting. Nothing ****es shooters off worse when some RSO comes in and starts making up their version of reality based on personal whims and pet peeves instead of what is safe and part of the standard range operations.

1. Every range has range specific rules, learn them. You must get this from management and they should be in writing and well advertised/posted prominently to all members or shooters. Your "Pet peeves" may or may not be in the range rules.

2. Everyone follows the rules! Even the "favored sons" who think or have been allowed to think that the rules do not apply to them. Control it right off the bat or they will attempt to walk over you.

3. Conduct range safety briefs and tell everyone how it will be run and stick to it.

4. Stop all unsafe acts immediately but no screaming, be professional.

5. You are an RSO, not GOD, so do not let it go to your head. :)

Enjoy, but it will be frustrating dealing with the 5% knuckleheads.

Being an RSO IMO is not about pet peeves. It is about running a safe and functional range that people want to come to and enjoy shooting. Nothing ****es shooters off worse when some RSO comes in and starts making up their version of reality based on personal whims and pet peeves instead of what is safe and part of the standard range operations.

1. Every range has range specific rules, learn them. You must get this from management and they should be in writing and well advertised/posted prominently to all members or shooters. Your "Pet peeves" may or may not be in the range rules.

2. Everyone follows the rules! Even the "favored sons" who think or have been allowed to think that the rules do not apply to them. Control it right off the bat or they will attempt to walk over you.

3. Conduct range safety briefs and tell everyone how it will be run and stick to it.

4. Stop all unsafe acts immediately but no screaming, be professional.

5. You are an RSO, not GOD, so do not let it go to your head. :)

Enjoy, but it will be frustrating dealing with the 5% knuckleheads.[/QUOT
X2

Thanks all. Just to be clear, so that I'm not giving the wrong impression, when I was asking about pet peeves, I meant those that shooters might have about RSOs, not vice versa.

I've been asking around in various places and have been hearing that RSOs at some ranges have really ruined the experience for both beginning and experienced shooters. I want people to have a safe, positive experience, and I realize that I will impact both those aspects. Any more comments? Please keep them coming.

What BountyHunter said.

I am an RSO and past president of the association that operates a large firearms sports facility.

The good guys are customers, enthusiasts and brothers.
The bad guys are dangerous, disruptive and loaners.

No one is above the rules. One of the 'directors' was called out by an RSO. That director was his 'boss'. Safety as you were taught and range rules apply to all.

Yes, the RSO got fall out for calling out his boss. We got it fixed eventually.

Lots and lots of very good advice here, Dan. Not much I can add except to highlight the "don't yell" at violators. While that is one of my pet peeges, I understand that it is sometimes necessary to raise your voice to get attention when you're some distance away from the violator. If a violation deserves a raised voice (usually something that places someone in immediate danger - sweeping the muzzle, etc) I prefer a "cease fire" announcement. That's a loud voice command that is generally accepted by everyone, stops the action (as well as getting the violator's attention) and allows you to offer a "clear to fire" command when you've made contact with the offending shooter so that you can correct his/her behavior in a firm civil tone.
I recall that I once absent mindedly violated a range rule by carrying my rifle, in its case, to the check-in desk. Rule said no rifles could be removed from vehicles until check-in was complete. The RSO shouted at me while I was half way across the parking area, scolding me like a small child and making an enormous issue of the situation. I have never renewed my membership and have never returned to that range.
I have many years of experience with RSO responsibilities. It takes a sharp eye to spot problems or potential problems. Being firm but respectful pays off.
One other pet peeve of mine is the RSO who spends his or her time distracted visiting with shooters instead of focusing on the job at hand. As RSO I'm responsible for maintaining a safe shooting environment. I can't do that if I'm smiling at some pretty young girl or discussing reloading issues with another shooter.

I haven't been here for quite a while and, having now been working 16-21 hours/week as an RSO at a relatively new indoor range (one year anniversary on June 10) I just wanted to update this.

So, we have a great facility and a great crew, and because of that, we already have a top notch reputation. It's been interesting hearing the comments from customers, both in person and via the other RSOs and also through websites. The owners at this place emphasize safety and customer experience and the feedback seems to indicate we've been successful in achieving a high level with both.

It's been a nice experience. I think we have good shooters for the most part. I'm not by any means saying they are all skilled shooters, just that they generally have good attitudes. They make an ernest effort to abide by the rules, they understand and even appreciate when they have to be reminded of them, and they seem to welcome constructive criticism. I don't know if it's our local customer base or the attitude projected by our team; I suspect it's both, but things have gone very well.

I can't speak for the experiences of other RSOs at other ranges, but this has worked out very well for me. I suspect that major credit goes to the operating manager that interviewed and hired us all. He had a certain philosophy in mind in terms of customer experience and the type of staff that could provide that...service oriented, conscientious, no egos, people skills, a fondness and respect for guns and the community of gun owners, and a respect for what customers can teach us. Anyway, just an update for those that gave me feedback many months ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.