Best material for gong

littledevil2873

I keep reading everybodies post where they are shooting their gongs at whatever distance. I want to build one for myself. What kind of steel is best and what thickness works best. Also any design recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks

The gongs and other targets that 4ked Horn and I use are just pieces out of the scrap pile that didn't cost us much or was free. You will need a thicker piece if the steel is soft. I have one target that is made out of 3/8" AR500 steel and it is pretty tough. If you allow the plate to swing and use up some of the energy of the bullet, it will be easier on your target vs. having it rigidly mounted.
If you got a piece of AR500 that was 1/2" thick, I think you could shoot it with whatever uber-magnum you want and you would be just fine (it won't be cheap though). A good place to start is a 12" circle for a gong.

MIL-A-12560, MIL-A-46100, and MIL-A-46177 all armor plate which can be bought by civilians.

This is pretty much the best stuff but expensive.

I use a 12" 150lb class SS flange that followed me home from my last job. Its about a full inch thick , heavy as hell but it makes for a realy good "THWACK" at 500yds. its got well ove 1000 rounds in it and no chance of a pass through yet.
I've also got a 18" one that 3 pieces of 3/8" plate bolted together with 1/4" lead between them , its realy heavy!!

If you hang your gong at a slight angle the bullets all go down and don't damage the steel as much.
339625.JPG

I'm a big fan of T1 steel at least 1/2 inch thick depending on the power and distance you are shooting. It is the same steel used on older tank armor and is not as expensive as the newer ar plate. it can be cut and ground and machined with common metal working tools and welded to with relative ease. It can be found at most steel yards and scrap is often available at many welding shops that work on loader buckets and the like.

Check out my gong.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a big fan of T1 steel at least 1/2 inch thick depending on the power and distance you are shooting. It is the same steel used on older tank armor and is not as expensive as the newer ar plate. it can be cut and ground and machined with common metal working tools and welded to with relative ease. It can be found at most steel yards and scrap is often available at many welding shops that work on loader buckets and the like.

Check out my gong.

[/ QUOTE ]

4k... ar500 beats the snot out of T1 at half the thickness (weight)...really it is that good. Though...of course, it isnt as easy to deal with...but a plasma cutter WILL work. makes a nice sound too...easily heard hits at 700+ this morning from a 308 (not much energy left)

900 was tough, cause the wind was blowing away though...and the humidity was down.

If you want a real treat, shoot steel when it is raining, or shortly after...RING!

JB

Hey fellas , where would one find some of this AR500?

Textron Marine is just down the road and they have some contract to make some big armored tank type deal ,you think they'll have some

[ QUOTE ]
4k... ar500 beats the snot out of T1 at half the thickness (weight)...really it is that good.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm with ya there. For me the cost is prohibitive and I don't know anyone with a plasma cutter. If the chineese government would stop hoarding steel and the prices would come back down I might invest a little in some ar.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.