Advanced loading techniques ????

Both my screen chrono and Magneto Speed calculate the SD for me for every shot group as the shots are fired.

That's right I'm pretty sure mine does too I just didn't know what it was at the time!
Thanks for the help guy's I got it either way now

Another point: what is a "good SD?"
I'm happy when it is less than 1% of the mean MV.
For example, SD of 14 for a 5 shot group with mean MV of 2800 is 0.5% of the MV.

Depends on what you are trying to accomplish with the rifle. Shooting tin cans at 50 feet or trying to hit an 8 in steel target at 600 or 1000 yrds and everything in between

In response to your seating depth question. Some years ago Berger issued a protocol on their site which dealt with seating depth. I've used it for years now and it's pretty foolproof. They, of course, use it for their bullets, but I have found that it works well with others also. Check their site and if the protocol is no longer there I can email it to you. I've been doing this for 70 years and have found no better answer.

I use the same method for finding seating depth for all my chamberings. It's quite apparent where to focus efforts after running their test.

Depends on what you are trying to accomplish with the rifle. Shooting tin cans at 50 feet or trying to hit an 8 in steel target at 600 or 1000 yrds and everything in between
rcoody: what is your point? Is your goal an SD that is less than 1% of the MV? If so, that's fine.
But a 1% SD means that if your drop at 800 yds is 90 inches (a realistic number for 300 Win Mag), then your variation will be plus or minus 0.9 inch. That is good enough for me.

rcoody: what is your point? Is your goal an SD that is less than 1% of the MV? If so, that's fine.
But a 1% SD means that if your drop at 800 yds is 90 inches (a realistic number for 300 Win Mag), then your variation will be plus or minus 0.9 inch. That is good enough for me.

Whatever works for you

I don't believe the MV variation affect on bullet drop is as simple as what is suggested above which implies a linear variation with MV. Here is an AB calculated example for 190gr VLD at 65F, 1200 ft, 50% humidity and standard pressure, 200 yd zero for a 800 yd shot:

3000 fps 15.7 MOA (130.6 inches)
2970 fps 16.1 MOA (134.0 inches)

The difference still may not seem that much to some people when viewed as a single variable in shot performance. However, Bryan Litz's work with WEZ modelling does a good job of putting different variables in perspective and makes for an interesting read relative to this thread. He basically points out the combination of different variables uncertainty adds up to more misses and that the combination makes it difficult to isolate a miss to a single variable in some cases.

Bryan's relatively new Volume II Modern Advancements in Long Range Shooting has 5 chapters devoted to advanced hand loading which I found interesting and some what counter to typical internet collective wisdom. The Precision Shooting Reloading Guide by Dave Brennan was especially useful to me for a reloading guide after I made the effort to borrow it through the local library.

In my own case after reading Bryan and Brennan's works, I do whatever I can to control each variable in hand loading to the maximum extent practical when trying for precision loads. I also try to have tools available to accurately measure my work/results. (e.g., Chrono with Magneto Speed or Lab radar, auto trickler & FX-120I, concentricity gauges, Starett calipers, etc) What is practical depends on time, budget and space available and being recently retired, I am reasonably blessed. I do not claim to be a reloading expert though, which is the reason for providing what I found to be useful references for my own efforts.

Bryan's relatively new Volume II Modern Advancements in Long Range Shooting has 5 chapters devoted to advanced hand loading which I found interesting and some what counter to typical internet collective wisdom. The Precision Shooting Reloading Guide by Dave Brennan was especially useful to me for a reloading guide after I made the effort to borrow it through the local library.

Which of those books is most helpful to the precision reloader? I'd like to check them out but not sure if I should get both or one or what.

For reloading, I thought Vol 2 from Litz was more helpful than Vol 1 but Vol 1 does a better job of covering the associated ballistics. I bought mine as a set and thought both were good if a bit dry.

If cost is an issue, I would get the Precision Reloading Guide by Brennan from the library as it is the best reloading manual I have read. My rural library had to borrow the book as it is out of print and ridiculously priced on Amazon. I believe that some people who borrow the Brennan book have been tempted to scan it before returning the book because it is unavailable in print, but I'm not suggesting forum members would do something like this.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.