Action squareing

Berkly1

I have a question for you all. I am a shade tree machinist and like working on rifles. I have an action I want to square. Heres is the question? What would be wrong with taking round stock chucked in my 3 jaw and ran in my live center and turning this bar to fit my action bolt raceway very tight. If the front or back of action is not the same size I would just make my round stock fit accourdingly. What i would do is turn two humps on the bar and relieve everything else. You would have a bar with two large diameters where action sits. The largest part on the action would sit closest to the 3 jaw. The action could sit however it wants as long as it very tight.. I probably explained this unclearly but I hope u get the point. Anyhow will this work.

Move live center only. Do not take out of 3 jaw as this is now running on the center of your lathe, exactly. Oh and the shaft is faced and centerdrilled for a live center.

This is a similar idea to what I've read in books. There is more to it as described in books but basically the same.

If it would repeat after you put the live center back and you had no runout on the shaft I can see where you could face the receiver but how would you match the lugs

Don't want to get in a big discussion about internal bolt lugs or how would you recut threads with this set up, because you obviously can't do any other work with a big manderal in the way. I just wanted to see what you all thought of this for only squaring an action. Do you think it would be accurate? Thanks to all who gave replied. Hopefully more will chime in.

Here's my slant on this subject. As long as the barrel is pointing the same direction as the action you're good. Truing actions only makes payments on the wife's Mercedes.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts