Accushot monopod or rear bag ?

Down Under Hunter

Just looking at getting a rear rest that I will use in the field with my 338 and use for practice with bipod at targets.

The monopod I'm looking at is the bt 04 with quick knob and tac cap. Apparently they are really solid, but I would imagine that without a bipod up front they would wobble around. Sometimes I cant use a bipod because of the angle and bag the front instead.

Just interested to get some in the field feedback ?

Cheers guys.

DUH

i tried one mostly on a bench for a time and junked it, slow to adjust, never the right surface to get lined up with because its a hard and set dimension at the rear even though they are adjustable. a bag is better in my opinion.

Hi mate

I have that same monopod. I bought it last year for my 700p and in all honesty I didn't like it. I found it just wasn't as stable as a rear bag. Each to there own, some like it some don't. If your after one let me know as mine is just sitting around doing nothing.

same here....limited use....not gonna say you cant shoot long range with it.....just that a bag is better.

I like it at the range, to a point...more stable than a rear bag. But...it isn't as easy to adjust. In the field, either a bag or my left hand under the butt of the rifle...

I owned one, and If I have to choose between Monopod and sandbag, I will choose SANDBAG.
Why? Because with a sandbag is more stabile, and easy to adjust.
Chris

New botton activated adjustments

Their is an upgraded accushot now I agrea thet the standard model was slow now they have an alloy foot with a button that disengages the thread and when you are close you release the button and wind for fine adjustments. I use benchrests and bags at the range but when you have to carry every thing sand bags and rests get heavy the other option is bipod and bean bag.

Cheers Bill
Australia

I had one too, I just used it for a rear handle when down on the bipod. It didn't stay on very long. Bipod & polyfilled bag, no weight and quick to adjust.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.