Rear bag with or without ears

Tyler Holderby

Looking at rear bag options..currently I use a sock filled with popcorn seeds, but I'm curious about a bag with ears? Which do most prefer, which will be most stable and accurate? I feel with my current setup the rifle may become torqued when I squeeze the bag, a bag with ears I could just slide up or down the stock for the preferred height..weight of the bag isn't an issue for me..looking for the most accurate prone hunting setup! Thanks in advance

I too prefer ears. If weight is really no issue, I have and would recommend a Protektor Model with the double-thick bottom leather. It is an incredibly solid bag. But heavy

For me, it is too heavy for any type of field use (even backyard crows and chucks). For that I have a basic Caldwell rear bag (still has ears) filled with rice. Way lighter, not as solid, but definitely adequate for field use.

I have no experience with a bag with ears, so do you guys just move the bag along the stock for the desired height? I would guess so but unsure of proper technique?? Thanks!

In general, that's what I do. Typically I'll set my front rest to a height where I can have my rear bag most of the way rearward. Ultimately you will develop a technique that is most comfortable and accurate for you. Some guys squeeze the ears for slight elevation, some turn the bag slightly for a firmer platform, etc.

for hunting I generally use my pack. This reduces the amount of things I have to take with. If I am out shooting I use a bag with ears

For loadwork, Benchrest, and competition where multiple shots are taken from a bench I use a heavy rear bag with ears, Protecktor. A benefit of the ears is for maintaining lateral position for follow up shots. Also elevation adjustments can be made by sliding the rifle to and fro from an independent front rest. For hunting and tactical using a bipod, I use a triangular(I like the Triad Tactical), or rectangular bag with lightweight filler. I find it better for variable target/game positions, and ground conditions requiring overall height changes. Also,it gives me the best versatility in fine tuning elevation and set-up speed. Fine tuning elevation by sliding a bipod on a fixed rear bag position is difficult. I have found no difference in my first shot accuracy between the two types of bags. IMO.

Good to know greyfox. I was hoping off a bag and the off a bag with ears would show similar results of POI..that way I can take both and use which allows in any given situation.

If this is for hunting stay with what you have. Can't tote a 15lb rear bag with you hunting. Jimbo300 on here uses a darn padded shooting glove and shoots perfect scores (200's) at 600 yard f class matches. Proficiency like that with a glove would be ideal for shooting matches and hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.