Accurate shooter barrel life calculator?

stanley52

So I checked out the accurateshooter barrel life calculator and it shoots out that my 180AI will have a lower barrel life than a 6.5-284. I believe the numbers were something along the lines of 1200 shots vs 1300. My load is 58.5gr H4831sc. I calculated the 6.5-284 just based off a max nosler manual charge (49gr of____). I have 500 rounds through my 280 AI, never had one before, and I have never owned a 6.5-284. It seems that calculator gave a pretty close estimation from my understanding of the accurate life of most 6.5-284's but I was under the impression a 280 AI should be looking more like 2000-2500. Anyone care to shed light on any of this?

I think match shooters use H4350 and shoot a little hotter. I built a couple of 6.5-284's and didn't like them. They were too fussy at what they wanted to shoot and the tune varied from day to day. Most of them got 800 to 1000 rounds of life needed for competition. I am not sure about your 280Ack but those numbers are probably close. Most guys cut off and rechamber around 5 or 600 rounds before they get to firecracked. Makes them last a little longer. Matt

There is a big difference between what benchrest shooters would call shot out and what a hunter would call shot out. There is no way a 280imp would be shot out in 12-1500 rounds. I would expect atleast 2000. I wouldnt even think a 7 mag would be shot out in 1300 rounds. I would think the benchrest guys are talking about when their groups go from the .2's to maybe .4-.5 as hunter and target shooter .5 is plenty good enough.

pulled straight from the article

Anyway, another factor hard to define is 'accurate' barrel life. This cannot be quantified without standards. Barrels are replaced when expectations are no longer met. I feel that a [barrel] passes peak potential in a finite period due to throat erosion. But that don't mean it's toast, if it still shoots well enough. It's just as likely that many of us never see that peak potential anyway. It's a slippery thing. Point-blank BR competitors will toss a barrel when it leaves the 1s. I could get another 4000 rounds from it, and be content with its performance, I'm sure."
NOTE: Mike says: "This spreadsheet may show a lower barrel life than you prefer. But it pretty well spotlights cartridges to stay away from if you plan much time at the range or in dog town."

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts