Accurate load falls apart after 100

There was an older guy I knew,had a tiki 22-250. His eyes were really bad an we had the scope set for his eyes. I couldn't hit nothing with that gun. He past away a few years ago, his grandson adjusted scope to his eyes, guess what, we both can shoot it well now. Maybe not your problem, but might be worth checking your scope an adjust it.

There was an older guy I knew,had a tiki 22-250. His eyes were really bad an we had the scope set for his eyes. I couldn't hit nothing with that gun. He past away a few years ago, his grandson adjusted scope to his eyes, guess what, we both can shoot it well now. Maybe not your problem, but might be worth checking your scope an adjust it.
First thing I checked was the parallax and scope mounts.

I didn't read every response so my apologies if I missed something and this has been covered, did you go back to 100 and make you could duplicate your original groups, just in case it's a scope failure, might even try shooting some groups at both ranges with a more traditional bullet, say a Sierra game king of perhaps a ballistic tip, another though that may border on the stupid side, how about cleaning? I have a ruger factory spotter 220 swift, I can fire 3 5 shots groups, each will run about 5/8 inch, the next group will open up to about 2 inches and the next even larger, clean it and it's back to 5/8, I use this on coyotes I've never had a day where I got 15 or more shots at the furry buggers, it's fast at over 3700 with 60 grain noslers so I leave it alone.

I've seen this before with my 6.5 STW. After about 1800 rounds it would shoot 1/3 MOA at 100 and 3M0A at 600 where before it would shoot 1/2 MOA at 600. Replaced the barrel and it went back to previous performance.

I would agree with the shooter issue but I'm not a novice, I'm not a competitor but I shoot more in one week than most in a year. Thousands of rds a year through many guns and I've never seen this. I also know everyone can have a bad day but I just shot the 100 groups an hour earlier. Stability I guess is a possibility but how would unstable bullets shoot consistent 1/2 or less at 100?

Not enough spin, the bullet slows down, and just like a gyroscope the bullet starts to wobble.

As someone else above mentioned, load development at 300yds is much more valuable than 100yd groups. Even for zeroing. I will have a muzzle velocity by the time I'm finished with load development and will be very much "zeroed" at 300. I zero my turrets to what my ballistic computer is telling me my 300yd data is using the MV I measured. Could care less what's happening at 100.

Had a similar situation, tiny groups at 100yds but opened up beyond 300. Es was not an issue.

Gun didn't recoil consistently and groups reflected the inconsistency at distance.

Slapped a cheek piece on that was tall enough, gun recoiled properly and groups shrunk back down.

Had a 26 Nosler, barrel was toast after load development, about 300 rounds. Aside that, tiny 100 yard groups aren't always indicative of what the bullet will do at longer ranges, even as close as 300. A suggestion for this cartridge, do your load development at the distance you believe you will be shooting in a hunting situation. Don't concentrate on getting small groups at 100 (you've seen the outcome). You'll save components and barrel wear.

I agree with above. The first things I do when I see issues like this is clean the barrel and check scope/mounts.

On hunting rifles I use a 200 zero.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.