Accurate 8700?

It worked great in 7 Rem Mag, 300 WM and 338 WM with heavies (7mm 175 smk, 30 cal 180 NBT/Hornady Inter-lokt, .338 cal 200 Speers), but velocity was low for these rounds. Too slow to be really efficient, but like I said, superb accuracy in my rifles.

I have some loaded but haven't tested yet! Was curious about burn rate but see it is really slow but at $10.50 a lb couldn't pass it up.I'll take accuracy over velocity most every time.

Sniper2,

I have used alot of 8700 in my Allen Magnums, especially before I started using WC872.

Most lots I have used have been slightly faster burning then H-870. Generally I reached same velocity with one or two grains less powder. This is in a 100-110 gr powder capacity round so its pretty **** close, within 1 or 2 percent of H-870.

I did however run into one lot that was Dramatically faster burning. Roughly the same as Retumbo. IT was a real joy to start this lot of powder after using the slower stuff. I always drop four to five grains off my load with a new lot of powder. Still I opened a couple primer pockets before I figured things out.

This was the reason for the change to WC872.

8700 is still a good powder, a bit temp sensitive but so is 872 and 870. I suspect the fast lot I got in was not stored properly which resulted in the faster burn rate.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks 89 and 50 I hope the bottles I have are a bit faster
but like you know can't tell until you test fire.I found a lot of difference in H870 in shooting the 300SMK in my .338/300 the case would hold several more grains at times??? The very big pills are my interest with this powder and I don't care if the vel is a little slower...

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.