Accuracy of Savage 110 BA

hjmwyatt21

I am very interested in purchasing a .338 Lapua Mag, but after extensive research, most of these rifles are priced beyond the reach of mere mortals. I have found that Savage makes a 110 BA tactical rifle in .338 and it has every feature I am looking for in a long range tactical rifle. Hoever, I have heard reports of problems with accuracy at distances beyond 300m, postulationg that the problem originates with the rifling twist and coarseness of the rifling. I'm hoping that someone out there has had experience with this weapon in this caliber at distance and if so I would love to hear from you. Thanks!

Sincerely,

hjmwyatt21gun)

Let me know if you get one. I've been thinking of buying one myself. I Have the Savage 308 10-BAS which shoots 3/8 min every time I shoot it.
I love the feel of the gun and I have made shots out to 1275 yds with it on milk jugs

I'm curious what kind of problems you heard about accuracy beyond 300m... I helped do field testing on these rifles and while the early prototypes had some mechanical issues (not related to accuracy) that got sorted out in later versions, accuracy was never a problem.

As far as the Remington... I'm sure they're a nice enough gun, but put them side by side on the gun store counter (I have), and you'll figure out why the one costs a bit less.

I was also interested to know where he got that information from. Everything I have read is quite opposite of that.

The only things I have read that may somewhat speak of accuracy is that the 110 BA has a twist of 1:9. Correct me if Im wrong, but this twist ratio is intended to shoot 300gr and over bullets. 1:9 twist may be a little too much for 250gr loads. Its more suited for the longer "slipperier" heavies.

Another thing is that the bullet on a 338 LM has to travel 300-400 yards before being fully stabilized. So it's not dead accurate on 300yds and under.

My friends bought two Savage 110ba 338 riffles, One has an ejection problem and the factory is sending him some new parts to try. The other riffle has a more serious problem, the bullet is hitting the inside of muzzle brake and throwing the round way off target. I will try to post an update when I here more.

I absolutely love mine. I am shooting right around 1 moa at 1000 yards. Trying to find the right load right now. I have no issues with it at all. Ryan

I shot that rifle for the first time a year+ ago, I had never even heard of it. It was zeroed @ 600yrds. My first shot @ target 985yrds= hit. target was a 24x30in rock sitting on a hillside, next 7 rounds all hit the same rock within 8or 9 inches from the first(we went and measured). So for a first time shooter of that rifle, hitting 8 times at a distance i never tryed before 985yrds...I was sold.
Now, I am sure not every 110ba that Savage makes will shoot like that, but it sure was enlightening to do it. I have heard that it needs the 300grain bullet, the 250 isnt enough, and the breakin of the barrel needs to be done methodicly. We did have a failure to extract twice, that was easy to remedy though. I have mine on order, and I cant wait to take it out. for what it costs, it a great first LR/H rifle for me.

My buddy has one and it's a great shooter. He brought it to a 200-300 yard egg shoot. Based on his results, i just ordered the HS version. It's solid .5moa rifle looking at the sighter boards.

with regards to accuracy from 0 to 400... my freinds and I all have 338 LM's... I have a custom build and one has the model 10ba and another has the savage model 111 long range hunter.. if you plan on hunting at all or anything then do not get the BA.. 17 lbs without scope or loaded ammo.. all these rifles I have seen shoot 1/2 moa or better out to 800.. my rifle shoots 1/2 well past 1200.. and the ba is not far off.. I would recommend any of those rifles to you.. but something throated for 300 grain bergers would shoot better than a factory rifle in my opinion.. but I am new to this also so.. someone knows way more than me..

Hello to all new to the forum!

That is really interesting that your friend has some serious issues with the BA. I have a BA in 300 WIN for over year and a half. I have sent countless rounds through the barrel with absolutely no problems. I have heard of some issues before I purchased the rifle and so I disassembled it to check for clearance and fitment issues with the muzzle break.

Accuracy and precision so far are not in question for my rifle, the rifle seems and will always out perform myself. It is true the heavier round needs a little air time before it flattens out and flies true, the same could be said for the 300 WIN. One thing I have found that the torque specs on the muzzle break and rifle itself do not need to be very high. Savage, Remington, etc seem to employ a 1000 LBS gorilla to torque their respective rifles, they can be a bear sometimes getting them to break loose for disassemble. Your friend must have had a later model BA from the manufacturer.

Many manufacturers will recalibrate their tooling machines after X amount of batches made. Although we would all love to think our rifles are made super-supremo the first time, it does happen...Clearances can get a little finicky towards the latter part of the batch quantity. Savage should resolve the issue for your friend.

Hope this helps...

Never fired one, but everything that I have read indicates it's a sound and accurate rifle. I have a custom 338 LM, but would not think twice about buying the savage model in 338LM.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.