Accubond Fail?

I found 3 boxes in my supply over a year ago that had the deteriorated tips. 30 cal 200 grain. Almost exactly as the OP photos show. Boxes were from around 2015 ish. I called Nosler and they said they would replace them. But…. I haven't received any replacements from them yet. At this point I'm not expecting to get replacements.
I have since moved to a different load and won't be buying or loading anymore Nosler bullets.

Here were mine…
DE2100ED-34EB-4422-8C63-EF788F4125AD.jpeg

The last box of Accubonds Nosler replaced for me took several months to receive. I was informed that they currently had none available, but that a box of bullets would be shipped when they next produced another batch of Accubonds in my caliber / weight.

About 4 months later, I did receive the replacements.

I was doing a little inventory and discovered this mess. Out of 50, 35 had the tips broken or more like crumbled off the bullet nose. I've had this box for probably 10 years on my shelf in my reloading room which is a spare bedroom. Temps always stay between 65-75. The smell from these resemble rotten fish at low tide.
Have 3 boxes like this and got nothing but crickets from Nosler. Kind of a shame considering I've got a touch over 15k bullets from them in .22 up to .338 calibers. Might be worth a call regardless...

Thanks for the info. I'll have check my supply. I some that have been stored for a long time. I would buy them as I seen the price was down. I haven't seen any here lately.

I've had several old boxes of Accubonds that did the same thing. It should only happen with older, vintage Accubonds.

Nosler was aware of this problem when I contacted them a few years sgo, and replaced my bullets with newer product. I was told they determined it was caused by corrosion associated with their bonding process. Some corrosion byproduct of bonding the lead core to the jacket. As corrosion formed under my plastic tips, the tips were pushed up out of the bullet.

Since Ballistic Tips aren't bonded-core bullets, this problem should not affect Ballistic Tips.

Nosler either added a corrosion neutralizing step to prevent this longer term corrosion with the Accubonds, or changed their manufacturing process in some manner, to resolve this problem. It takes a while for the corrosion to build up under the plastic tips. That's basically what I was told by Mike, the Nosler staff-person I talked with on the phone.

It shouldn't be happening with recently manufactured Accubonds. My boxes of Accubond bullets that lost some of their tips were more than 15 years old. One box had been sitting in my reloading room for ~20yrs before I opened them and found multiple deteriorated tips and tip-less bullets.
You are spot on.
Call Nosler and they will replace the bullets.

OP!

Get them out of your house, now!

If they smell like dead fish at low tide you are in extreme danger of attracting Polar Bears to your home.

They have great senses of smell over incredible distances!

Climate change!☠️ Dead fish!☠️ Hungry bears!🐻‍❄️

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/1EghTrigJJhq8" width="480" height="360" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="">via GIPHY</a></p>

Heck, recently a guy in AZ got killed and eaten by by a black bear while drinking coffee outside his home…

😉

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/jqfel7Z3XwTHCl26nT" width="480" height="275" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="">via GIPHY</a></p>

Last edited: