Nosler .264 142 Grain Accubond LR Pass or Fail?

I shoot the LRAB in three calibers. We open them up, field dress, and the first thing on our minds is, "What did that bullet do". We know the angle and distance, so what happens to bone, heart, lungs, and arteries?

The light LRAB does not always shoot holes through the animals, especially at close range. However, the internal organs are blended so fine, it is typical that organs are not distinguishable. This "blending" of the organs, plus breaking bone on quartering shots is what we love to see, because if the deer runs, they are running dead. We do expect lung-shot deer to run short ways, but aiming for the "off" shoulder puts them on the ground for good, IF you can.

10 Men may like to see 10 different results to fit their way of thinking on how deer should act after they have been hit with a particular bullet.

Being able to see which way the Lung shot deer takes off on their DEATH RUN, gives you a lot of confidence in finding the deer, quickly. We all know that high shoulder and neck shots put a deer down hard, but neck shots can be tricky using a tough bullet that does not expand quickly.

I shoot the LRAB in three calibers. We open them up, field dress, and the first thing on our minds is, "What did that bullet do". We know the angle and distance, so what happens to bone, heart, lungs, and arteries?

The light LRAB does not always shoot holes through the animals, especially at close range. However, the internal organs are blended so fine, it is typical that organs are not distinguishable. This "blending" of the organs, plus breaking bone on quartering shots is what we love to see, because if the deer runs, they are running dead. We do expect lung-shot deer to run short ways, but aiming for the "off" shoulder puts them on the ground for good, IF you can.

10 Men may like to see 10 different results to fit their way of thinking on how deer should act after they have been hit with a particular bullet.

Being able to see which way the Lung shot deer takes off on their DEATH RUN, gives you a lot of confidence in finding the deer, quickly. We all know that high shoulder and neck shots put a deer down hard, but neck shots can be tricky using a tough bullet that does not expand quickly.
Thanks for the input and I agree with you 100% on all fronts. From my own experience plus what I hear from others, it is exactly as you say: the lighter ABLR tend to not exit and the heavier ones do. One thing I forgot to mention that was very important (can't believe I forgot this) is that the buck I shot with the 142 gr ABLR was slightly quartered facing me. Bullet entered a touch high on the front left shoulder and stuck just under the hide on the opposite side (you could feel it) about 1/2 way back from the right shoulder. For a 142gr ABLR I consider this pretty good penetration. I would bet that if the deer was standing broad side I probably would have gotten an exit. If you look at the picture of the bullet I posted, I think it did pretty well and functioned as designed. And the most important thing to me is he dropped and I made a trip to the processor and taxidermist. Thanks again for your feedback.

Phil, here in SC, we can get a lot of shorter-range shots for freezer meat. The 129g Hornady flat base acts every bit like a 125g Partition, and I have shot the 129g Hornady flat base in all cases from 6.5x47 to the 264 Win mag, with no failures at all, and penetrated like a bulldozer.

Those old flat base bullets flat out kill and have been known to be easier to tune.
Thanks Phil. Yep, those old flat base bullets are legendary for a reason. In today's world of "sexy" high BC custom bullets we sometimes forget about "the horse that got us there". I can remember in the late 80's when Federal came out with 165gr boat tail factory ammo in 30-06 in the red & white box. I remember I just had to have some for my Remington 742 Woodsmaster auto loading rifle. I distinctly remember that they wouldn't group near as good in the 742 as the plain green & yellow box Remington 180 pointed soft points. Later in life a friend that worked at Remington told me that the green & yellow box 180 grain PSP ammo was loaded for the 742 gas system and that's why they shot so well in it.
I'm rambling now, but the flat base bullets have their place and are alive and well. I've been reloading since 1993 and I love it. I learn something new everyday and I don't always get it right. But I learn from it and move on. Thanks