6.5 / .264 142 gr Nosler LR Accubond

Bearing surface on nosler is identical to Amax but the nosler is longer. Amax is same length as vld.
Ablr vs vld
.630 vs .540 bearing surface.
1.44 vs 1.38 length.
.830 vs .730 tip to ogive

I just realized I gave wrong info on the tip to ogive. That is base to ogive! Tip to ogive will be 1.44 -.830 = .61 1.38 - .730 = .65 So nosler has a little shorter tip to ogive.

So my order is supposed to arrive this Saturday. I have some cases prepped and I think I'm going to try the IMR7828SS again. My rifle has showed pressure vs velocity a little faster than others. But with retumbo, (which I don't have a lot of and its hard to find so I save this for my 300rum), and the 7828ssc it did not show pressure as soon and I was getting 2950ish fps using either one. I would much like to use the retumbo because of the temp stable factor but 7828 does ok up to about 68 degrees before I start seeing changes. At least that what I seen in my 257 Weatherby. Also I always find 7828SSC some where every time I go looking for powder which is usually every 2 week. I just hope some day I can score a couple of 8lb jugs of retumbo or if some of these other powders pan out to be really temp stable then I can get off the retumbo crack wagon. I just like what I get shooting 230 bergers out of my 300rum. Manner of fact took out the big gun and shot in about 80 degree weather. My velocity increase was only about 8 to 10 fps compared to this fall at 40 to 45 degrees. Got to love that for some temp stable powder. I shot out to 700yrds and did not see any real change. Only sad thing to admit is I never could get my wind hold right so I never hit my plate. I was always putting bullets to the right of my target so I do have some more practicing to do.

Today I fired five from my wildcat. The powder was US869. I started with 95.0 grains and went up in .5 grain increments to 97.0. The velocity started at 3,450 and went up to 3,533 feet per second. I fired them at 300 yards to see if they would group at all with the different loads. The group was 2 5/8". I plan to try a different powder on Monday.

So I did a little weight test on 30 bullets the nosler vs the bergers. Lest just say hands down berger won. I had 2 piles for berger 140.0 and 140.1 grns. For the nosler I had 5 diferent piles. from 141.7 up to 142.2 grains. That a 1/2 grain weight difference. I was using the RBS charge master to weigh the bullets. So I will probably get a bunch of ziplocks and try and sort out the bullets before I start testing. This was a little disappointing on the weights for nosler. I think if I weigh them all out and sort them then it will diffentally help out with accuracy.

Very disappointing news to hear. I just ordered off a few boxes of this to try and if this be the case they'll be receiving them back in short order.

So I did a little weight test on 30 bullets the nosler vs the bergers. Lest just say hands down berger won. I had 2 piles for berger 140.0 and 140.1 grns. For the nosler I had 5 diferent piles. from 141.7 up to 142.2 grains. That a 1/2 grain weight difference. I was using the RBS charge master to weigh the bullets. So I will probably get a bunch of ziplocks and try and sort out the bullets before I start testing. This was a little disappointing on the weights for nosler. I think if I weigh them all out and sort them then it will diffentally help out with accuracy.

So here is something that I cant explain. I ran some numbers off the G7 program. with keeping everything the same except changing the bullet weight from 142 grains to 141 grains the drops were the same out to 1000yrds. Only difference was the energy and the heavier bullet at 142 grains had a little more energy at each 100 yrd increment. So maybe the 1/2 grain in spread wont be as big as an issue as I was thinking. Maybe someone else wants to do this and see if they are coming up with the same results. Might be missing something. But I will still be seeing what these bullets will group like once I get some time.

I used to weight sort as well. I stopped doing it as I am not shooting 1000 yard x rings. I found very little if any difference at decent grouping when it came to weight differences within this range. I did find a difference if the bearing surface is inconsistent. I had a lot of bergers with 30 thousands difference and they would not group well at well. That lot became foulers and barrel break in bullets.

Regardless is not good to have bullets out of the .1 + - range of the advertised weight. When I have time I will weigh mine and see how it goes. If they out of whack I will shoot the middle weight for tuning and set up. After that is done, I will not worry about the weights too much.

Decided to get back to this project and measured the ogive bearing surface of the 200 bullets I have. The range is .6240 to .6285 for all but 2 bullets. 2 are .2300 and .2315. Those 2 can be foulers I guess. Not really sure what to make of this. There are 4 lots broken into .0010 separations. .2655. .2665. .2675. .2685. This .0030 deviation covers the entire 200 bullets. Not impressed. I had a "lot" of bergers with a similar range and they didn't shoot real well. Admittedly, I have not measured bergers for awhile as I have had no issues with accuracy.

I guess I just need to go shoot the middle range and see what happens.

Any updates on the 142 ABLR in 260? I was only able to get 2600 fps over 45gr of rl19 . 24" barrel. No pressure signs so I'll be going slightly over max load since I had good accuracy

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.