Nosler .264 142 Grain Accubond LR Pass or Fail?

Did you use the same 6.5mm Ballistic tips as in the article? Or are you basing it from the .25 cal bullets in your 25-06? In any case if you like the ABLR's that's fine. However imo you'll get what you're looking for with the BT's, 140 PT, or the 140 AB. They are more designed for the range you are operating at.
Basing it on ballistic tips used in 25-06, 270 Wby Mag, and 300 RUM. I really did try to give them a chance as I used them in 3 different calibers. However, based on my past experiences with actual results where I never had exit holes and bullets always completely exploded and fragmented, I opted not to use ballistic tips in my 6.5 PRC. And these results were based on hunting a pipeline at various distances up to 400 yards. Got nothing against the ballistic tips; however, based on my past experiences with them I just wanted to try something different in my 6.5 PRC. I really appreciate everyone's feedback, thoughts, and ideas.

I think that someone mentioned this, the std Accubond may be your huckleberry. Also, the Hornady ELD-X is tough.

My brother is shooting the 25/06 with 110g Accubond at 3000, unbelievable accuracy with R#22, 3000 fps. In the several custom 257 Weatherbys with the 110s at 3590-3620 fps, accuracy is a bug hole, and complete penetration is a given. I will ask my brother about the penetration on 25/06 at 3000 fps. That El Cheapo Rem long-range 25/06 is an unbelievable shooter with this load, Gentry muzzle break, bedded, and good glass.

if nosler ever makes a 120-125gr .257 accubond it's going to simplify my mid-range choices.
Driven close or the same as .257 Wby it will be a killer that's comfortable to shoot in a lighter non-braked gun.

I think that someone mentioned this, the std Accubond may be your huckleberry. Also, the Hornady ELD-X is tough.

My brother is shooting the 25/06 with 110g Accubond at 3000, unbelievable accuracy with R#22, 3000 fps. In the several custom 257 Weatherbys with the 110s at 3590-3620 fps, accuracy is a bug hole, and complete penetration is a given. I will ask my brother about the penetration on 25/06 at 3000 fps. That El Cheapo Rem long-range 25/06 is an unbelievable shooter with this load, Gentry muzzle break, bedded, and good glass.
Nice. 110 grain regular Accubond is what I am shooting in my Browning X-Bolt 25-06 and I love it. Loading 57.3 grains of PP4000MR and averaging 3,250 fps; however, I have a 24" barrel. I love that load. I was shooting Barnes TTSX 100 grain with 53 grains of IMR 4350 at about the same velocity. I changed to the Accubond and changed up the load and now shooting the same speed but with 10 more grains of bullet.

if nosler ever makes a 120-125gr .257 accubond it's going to simplify my mid-range choices.
Driven close or the same as .257 Wby it will be a killer that's comfortable to shoot in a lighter non-braked gun.

Phil, I don't know if we will ever see this, would be a wet dream, for sure.

I look forward to seeing the results of your 25 Sherman.

Basing it on ballistic tips used in 25-06, 270 Wby Mag, and 300 RUM. I really did try to give them a chance as I used them in 3 different calibers. However, based on my past experiences with actual results where I never had exit holes and bullets always completely exploded and fragmented, I opted not to use ballistic tips in my 6.5 PRC. And these results were based on hunting a pipeline at various distances up to 400 yards. Got nothing against the ballistic tips; however, based on my past experiences with them I just wanted to try something different in my 6.5 PRC. I really appreciate everyone's feedback, thoughts, and ideas.
Hmm okay. Funny because once the 300 RUM came online they beefed up the jackets on the BT's.

Ok, this post is sure to have some opinions and comments so I thought I would see what you guys think. Before I get into the performance of the 142gr ABLR I want to say how I got there. Earlier in the deer season this year I shot a buck with a 143gr ELD-X and I was not pleased with the performance. Pencil hole in; pencil hole out at 120 yards. Could have been the shot placement since I hit him kind of forward in the front shoulder. Knocked him down & he ran about 50 yards and expired. Zero blood but dead is dead and I happily retrieved my deer. The pencil hole kind of scared me so I loaded up some 142gr Nosler ABLR. These loads are averaging about 3,050fps—basically the same as the ELD-X's. A week or so ago I shot another buck at 127 yards with the 142gr ABLR and dropped the buck in his tracks. No exit hole and I was able to retrieve the bullet and share it with you guys. I weighed the bullet and it weighed 53 grains or 37% of its original weight. So basically, the bullet shed 63% of its weight. This was somewhat disappointing; however, dead is dead and I harvested a nice buck and I was very happy. The Nosler ABLR performance in this scenario is not enough to make me stop hunting with them because again—dead is dead and I dropped the buck in his tracks. I have attached a picture of the recovered bullet to see what you guys think. Happy shooting and Happy New Year.
I did extensive testing with several calibre's including the 129g and 142g ABLR 6.5's out of a 260AI and a 264WM with 29.5" barrel and 8" twist to well over 1100 metres…
The ABLR is NOT designed for 120yard shots, expecting a better outcome than what you got is foolish. If you want better performance, use regular Accubonds and be happy with exits from ANY angle.
I find your thread a little disheartening because you are judging a bullet outside of it's intended purpose.

Cheers.

I did extensive testing with several calibre's including the 129g and 142g ABLR 6.5's out of a 260AI and a 264WM with 29.5" barrel and 8" twist to well over 1100 metres…
The ABLR is NOT designed for 120yard shots, expecting a better outcome than what you got is foolish. If you want better performance, use regular Accubonds and be happy with exits from ANY angle.
I find your thread a little disheartening because you are judging a bullet outside of it's intended purpose.

Cheers.
Disheartening was not the intention of the post. If you notice in my comments many times I stated that I am going to continue to use the ABLR because a nice buck lay dead in his tracks after my shot. Additionally, my post was in the form of a question and not judgement against the 142gr 6.5 ABLR. I made a comment in regards to the bullet losing 63% of its mass and that I was a little surprised with that; however, I also stated that I was going to keep using the bullet. I am not a 1,000 yard plus bench rest shooter—I'm just a guy who loves to hunt whitetails in the woods of Northwest Louisiana. I am a perfectionist with my hunting loads and I love accurate equipment and accurate loads—to me, anything less is unethical and unacceptable. I definitely succeeded with my post as I knew (and stated at the beginning) I would get lots of comments (good ones by the way) and opinions. So misjudging the intent of the post is also disheartening; however, most everyone's comments have been great and insightful. Cheers

Also to MagnumManiac:
I use regular Accubonds in my 25-06 and believing you will get exits at any angle is foolish and unrealistic. The last buck I killed with this load combination (last year) I did not get an exit and the deer was standing broadside. But he dropped where he stood so that was good enough for me. And, all of my shots are not at 120 yards—some are 300 yards and further. Selecting a bullet based on a single yardage where I hunt would be foolish as well.

We used hundreds of 200 grain Accubonds and almost always got exits. One of our last cow elk was at 110 yards, broadside (before exploring other bullets, due to limited access to the Accubonds). That bullet only hit a rib bone and did not exit. If I remember right, we were running that pill at 3200 fps out of a 300 RUM. The cow dropped at the shot and her legs were tucked into her body before she hit the ground. We all were shocked that it didn't exit. Nothing but love for the Accubonds. We've shot half-minute groups with that bullet out past 1k yards.

I don't have any experience with the smaller ABLR, but I do use the 168 and 175 out of 7 Rem Mag. After taking them near and a little further out, I have no issues using that bullet up close or long range. I'm still waiting to recover one of the ABLR.

It's funny, I practice all summer to prepare for 1k+ yard shots on deer and my equipment is set up to take those shots, then they show up at 50 yards. Nosler AB's, ABLR, Berger Hybrid's, and Hornady ELD-Ms haven't let me down.

We used hundreds of 200 grain Accubonds and almost always got exits. One of our last cow elk was at 110 yards, broadside (before exploring other bullets, due to limited access to the Accubonds). That bullet only hit a rib bone and did not exit. If I remember right, we were running that pill at 3200 fps out of a 300 RUM. The cow dropped at the shot and her legs were tucked into her body before she hit the ground. We all were shocked that it didn't exit. Nothing but love for the Accubonds. We've shot half-minute groups with that bullet out past 1k yards.

I don't have any experience with the smaller ABLR, but I do use the 168 and 175 out of 7 Rem Mag. After taking them near and a little further out, I have no issues using that bullet up close or long range. I'm still waiting to recover one of the ABLR.

It's funny, I practice all summer to prepare for 1k+ yard shots on deer and my equipment is set up to take those shots, then they show up at 50 yards. Nosler AB's, ABLR, Berger Hybrid's, and Hornady ELD-Ms haven't let me down.
Appreciate the information—great stuff. I have good friends in Oregon who have the finest equipment money can buy, practice all year for long shots on elk, and in many cases end up taking them less than 100 yards as you mentioned.
And I hear you on the regular Accubonds and ABLR. I will probably keep using regular AB's in my 25-06 and ABLR in my 6.5 PRC. I do have a 300 RUM that I seldom use because it's overkill for whitetails; however I love shooting it. I came across some 165 grain regular AB's that I might pick up for it since I have not been able to find any ABLR 30 cal in 175 to 180 grain. Thanks for your input sir.