Absolute Hammer

I've been into precision loading and long range shooting for several years but this by no means I know everything. These bullets are new to me so I'd rather ask than to make a mistake.
Indeed they are very different and we all find tiny things that help. I start incredibly low on charge if no info is available so if I can get someone in the ballpark I always try.

Just drop down some and start with either of those and you will be fine.
If the rifle is new I would do my usual of shooting 100 rounds of cheap bullets to form your brass and break in barrel. Then clean well and start load data. Nothing wrong with doing load work before that other than you will want to double check your speed after barrel breaks in.
Christensen Arms Ridgeline FFT recommends 3shot groups clean between up to 50rds. Don't worry,I found a box of WW 100gr I had for years. They'll do the job for breakin. Thanks for all the input.

140g Absolute Hammer; I hit pressure at 3169fps but at 1.2g charge weight below that I feel is a safe load with a bit over 3100fps at 58.5g charge weight. Thats still a respectable load for a 280 cal 140g bullet.

Great info thanks.

I did recall later after my post that I had read about the 7 saum, H4350 and 154 Hammers.

H100V is what I'm running in my 23" 280 AI. 140 AH at 3300 FPS.
Hodgdon lists that as slightly slower burn rate than their 4350.

This is the mystery to me learning to load Hammers. I spend hours sifting thru user data and forum posts, somehow I picked H4350 because it was faster than the IMR4831 I have on hand. But Im only safely getting a tad over 3100fps from a fast twist 26in bbl and then I pressure out.
I feel like there is some burn rate guideline Im missing out on, if faster is better then can I use A2520 or CFE223 for my 280AI? It seems like its not so simple as to keep moving up a burn rate chart but Im not certain what guideline exists in choosing the better powder for a particular rifle/caliber other than randomly picking one from published load data.

Great info thanks.

I did recall later after my post that I had read about the 7 saum, H4350 and 154 Hammers.
it does make me wonder if I would get better velocities if I stepped up to a heavier Hammer with the H4350...

I sometimes wonder how accurate the burn rate charts are. I did the exact same thing you did, and I only looked at the AH load data sheet. Seen good velocity with H100V and I had some, so that's what I tried. Shoots good at 3300 FPS. Took it up to almost 3400 FPS but groups opened up. Maybe I got lucky. I'd think with a 26" barrel you should get 3300 FPS easily. But every gun and barrel is different.

I sometimes wonder how accurate the burn rate charts are. I did the exact same thing you did, and I only looked at the AH load data sheet. Seen good velocity with H100V and I had some, so that's what I tried. Shoots good at 3300 FPS. Took it up to almost 3400 FPS but groups opened up. Maybe I got lucky. I'd think with a 26" barrel you should get 3300 FPS easily. But every gun and barrel is different.
Ive read to take burn rate charts as a reference only, different companies will list powders at different positions. I would like to think that "generally" one powder is faster than the ones below it. Anyways...

I think there are too many other variables to have consistent velocity results with one specific powder between different handloaders. Primer and brass are almost never the same between loaders. Seating depth, crimps... Maybe the type of rifling is a part of it too.
Traditional bullets mostly have published load data and most handloaders dont exceed published velocities and are generally happy to stay under max. I think with Hammers this is all out the window since their bullets have way less friction increasing velocities its trial and error to match what others are, reporting.

Sorry didn't include: IBI CF 23" with a 1-7.5" twist. Petersen 280 AI brass, fed210 primer.

Ive read to take burn rate charts as a reference only, different companies will list powders at different positions. I would like to think that "generally" one powder is faster than the ones below it. Anyways...

I think there are too many other variables to have consistent velocity results with one specific powder between different handloaders. Primer and brass are almost never the same between loaders. Seating depth, crimps... Maybe the type of rifling is a part of it too.
Traditional bullets mostly have published load data and most handloaders dont exceed published velocities and are generally happy to stay under max. I think with Hammers this is all out the window since their bullets have way less friction increasing velocities its trial and error to match what others are, reporting.
I agree, I've done a lot of research on all this and I guess I'll start with what I have,check for pressure, look at the numbers, (vel, es,sd) and go from there. Thank you for the input

I've been loading for years and I'm getting a real education on these new design bullets. I've got Varget and probably going to try and find some BLC2 to try. Thank you for the input.

Varget should work well for you; it has for others in the 6.5 CM with 123 AH's. BLC/2 seems to be shipping again but my suggestion is certainly to work with what you have before spending time, $ and bullets on another powder.

I've been into precision loading and long range shooting for several years but this by no means I know everything. These bullets are new to me so I'd rather ask than to make a mistake.

An 'expert' is someone willing to seek advice / look up answers. None of us know everything.

Just for grins: Alternative definitions for 'expert' include a) A drip under pressure and b) Anyone with a briefcase (updated: laptop) at least one airline flight from the home office.

I can give you some comparison of H4350 vs Varget with the 123AH in 6.5 CM. I've got a Cooper Raptor in 6.5 CM, it has a 22" barrel and tends to show signs of pressure earlier than what others are seeing in this cartridge so your results will likely vary. Data below was all on a COAL of 2.857

With H4350 I started at 40 grains moving 2653 fps and worked my way up to 42.1 grains moving 2777 fps with an es of 6 fps and no signs of pressure

With Varget I started at 38.0 grains running 2693 fps and worked my way up to 42.0 grains running 2923 fps and definite pressure, blown primer. 40.7 grains of Varget got me to 2830 fps with an es of 6 fps

Obviously your rifle may be different, start low and work your way carefully up looking for signs of pressure.

Both powders produced 0.5 moa groups. The 123 ah is a great bullet for the CM, bangs
steel at 500 yards with consistency.