Absolute Hammer

Bubbize

Ordered AH 123gr 6.5 for the creedmoor. Why is no one loading H4350? I see seating depth is a little iffy too. Because of a magazine fed rifle I have to start with SAMMI spec and go from there. Suggestions on load data welcome. I've been loading for the creedmoor and found H4350 or IMR4350 the best powder, don't understand why the bullet would make that much difference. Thanks

The absolute doesn't follow normal reloading data because of the less pressure it generates. I load the 123 out of a 6.5 prc at 3500fps. You can start with h4350 and see how it goes, the absolute is for experienced loaders because the bullet will act differently in each barrel.

The absolute doesn't follow normal reloading data because of the less pressure it generates. I load the 123 out of a 6.5 prc at 3500fps. You can start with h4350 and see how it goes, the absolute is for experienced loaders because the bullet will act differently in each barrel.
Thank you. I've been loading for close to 50 years and still seem to be learning from time to time. Just wasn't sure where to start with these bullets. I would normally load 41gr H4350 behind 130 Berger. I had a deer or two walk with a front end hit so I decided to try another bullet. I'm new to this site and not having any luck posting so please bear with me.

All my 45 year of reloading experience got me was a bunch of wasted components by using conventional powders with the HH or AH. It was difficult to put everything I had leaned and think outside the box. Fact is H4350 is just too slow burning for the 123AH. By that I mean you will reach 100% case fill long before reaching pressure and an acceptable speed. Because the AH data in QL is reported to be unreliable, I ran the data for the 124 HH. At 100% case fill, you get 48000 psi and 2719 fps from a 24" barrel.

Look for a powder that gives you 90-95 fill rate at max charge weight and work up toward that charge. Recommend something in the Varget, Hodgdon BL-C(2), IMR 8208 XBR or IMR 4166 burn rate range.

All my 45 year of reloading experience got me was a bunch of wasted components by using conventional powders with the HH or AH. It was difficult to put everything I had leaned and think outside the box. Fact is H4350 is just too slow burning for the 123AH. By that I mean you will reach 100% case fill long before reaching pressure and an acceptable speed. Because the AH data in QL is reported to be unreliable, I ran the data for the 124 HH. At 100% case fill, you get 48000 psi and 2719 fps from a 24" barrel.

Look for a powder that gives you 90-95 fill rate at max charge weight and work up toward that charge. Recommend something in the Varget, Hodgdon BL-C(2), IMR 8208 XBR or IMR 4166 burn rate range.
I do have Varget. What would you suggest for a starting point. Finding the right powder where I'm located could be a problem. Primers too. I have several hundred and looking for more. I'm using junk loads for barrel breakin on a new rifle and then I'll work on a hunting load. I have most the year to do it so hopefully by then things will be easier to find.Thanks for the info.

Bubbize,
Look up Absolute Hammer load data on this Forum. It'll save you time and components. Absolutes do not act like bullets you've loaded before (cup&core lead). They are very different and will get you much more speed with faster burn rate powders than you're used to. If you want better understanding, read Steve's intro to loading Absolutes. It's probably also posted here - or you can find it under Reloading on Hammertime Forum. Enjoy!

Bubbize,
Look up Absolute Hammer load data on this Forum. It'll save you time and components. Absolutes do not act like bullets you've loaded before (cup&core lead). They are very different and will get you much more speed with faster burn rate powders than you're used to. If you want better understanding, read Steve's intro to loading Absolutes. It's probably also posted here - or you can find it under Reloading on Hammertime Forum. Enjoy!
Thank you

Bubbize,
Thanks for all the info. I've read up on these bullets a little but didn't understand the change in the powder. There's always room to learn I guess.