Abolt upgrades

I can drive to my shooting bench so no problems carrying it there. For deer/hog hunting I typically walk between 1/2 to 1-1/2 miles at most to my stand on flat ground so weight is no big deal there also.

Where I hunt we run ridges and climb mountains and bust brush to hunt. So short barrels are nice to carry. Sounds like you could do whatever maximizes your rifle.

Steve

Thanks for the help I think I will stick with the 26" and the 1-10 twist. Any reason not to do the 5r rifling and do the 4 groove.

Thanks for the help I think I will stick with the 26" and the 1-10 twist. Any reason not to do the 5r rifling and do the 4 groove.

5R all the way. 5R is not just the number of grooves, it is a whole different style of rifling with the way the lands and grooves are shaped to help prevent copper buildup and to help in quicker and easier cleaning.

Any thoughts on barrel length? 22,24 ,26? Keep in mind it will wear a 9" suppressor all the time.

I went with Lilja 27" 1:9" 3-groove sendero/varmint contour (.830" at the muzzle #13 Bartlein) .308 cal for my current build; it will also be sporting a suppressor (http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/i-got-my-stamp-today-170071/). The goal is to propel the Berger 230s.

This is my 2nd 3-groove from barrel, my 1st was a 1:8" .270 AI and it stays very clean and hard fouls.

Good luck on your build and keep us posted.

Cheers!

Ed

I went with Lilja 27" 1:9" 3-groove sendero/varmint contour (.830" at the muzzle #13 Bartlein) .308 cal for my current build; it will also be sporting a suppressor (http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/i-got-my-stamp-today-170071/). The goal is to propel the Berger 230s.

This is my 2nd 3-groove from barrel, my 1st was a 1:8" .270 AI and it stays very clean and hard fouls.

Good luck on your build and keep us posted.

Cheers!

Ed

Thanks for the info, just curious, what action did u put it on?

Thanks for the info, just curious, what action did u put it on?

It's going onto Bighorn Arms SR2 LA action ...

Lilja%20barrel_zps7uiljkol.jpg

1%20of%203_zps8a8dywre.jpg

Eliteiron%20Bravo%201%20of%202_zpsrj2fg3jd.jpg

Cheers!

Ed

Well I think I'm about ready to send my rifle off to bartlein to have them do the work. I plan to ship USPS to them. Those of you that have shipped rifles before, do you ship them in good pelican cases inside A cardboard box or just a cheap hard side case inside cardboard? Thanks for the help

I mailed a barreled action in an inexpensive plastic case inside cardboard box via USPS & they broke the trigger assembly. I thought I packed it idiot proof but was proved wrong. Their claim process is an absolute nightmare & I finally decided my time was worth more than fighting with those more adept at red tape than I am.
I would recommend careful packaging on your part if you use USPS. I frankly don't trust anyone employed by the US govt unless their job description includes packing a firearm on a daily basis. Looks like you have a great rifle in your future, looking forward to pics of the end result!

Well talked to bartlein today and put my rifle in the mail.

here's the spec's

300 wsm
26" barrel
1-10 twist
#4 bull sporter SS
5R rifling
pillar bed
6 flutes
5/8 x 24 muzzle threads

now the fun 6 month wait to get it back.

Got a call from bartlein today, they can't open up the stock enough so I have to get a new one.

Looks like the only place I can find a stock for a left hand a-bolt is mcmillian.

Any thoughts on their:
A-2
Hunting classic
Hunting varmint?

Got a call from bartlein today, they can't open up the stock enough so I have to get a new one.

Looks like the only place I can find a stock for a left hand a-bolt is mcmillian.

Any thoughts on their:
A-2
Hunting classic
Hunting varmint?

They CAN open it up enough...But they don't want to. Trust me. Browning used to offer these rifles with factory full-bull carbon fiber barrels on them in these same factory stocks. So, they can/could...They just don't want to, or don't know that they can, because their superiors probably just told them they couldn't. :cool:

B&C makes a Medalist stock for the A-Bolt LA rifles.

https://www.stockysstocks.com/bell-...wsm-weatherby-mk-v-with-aluminum-bedding.html

Some people will also try to tell you that you can't open up a standard B&C Medlist stock for a heavy barrel... Well, I have a Sendero/Varmint contour barrel on my .30-06 AI, and it's sitting in a B&C Medalist Classic, just like I linked you above.

Here's how much room you have on each side of the barrel...

08E06F65-2152-40EC-8BCC-7FBB2543B2C6_zpsnz6fjtrj.jpg

Any thoughts on their:
A-2
Hunting classic
Hunting varmint?

I wouldn't go with the classic again. This is the best they could do, even having the barreled action to "custom fit". When I got it the barrel was touching up front & the rear stuck up like this. I sent it back asking that they take the rear pillar down a bit & they hogged out the barrel channel instead.

Attachments

• IMG_3892.jpg
    IMG_3892.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 88
Thanks for the replies, I would rather try to open this one up, if it fails I can just buy a mcmillian. Do either of you have a gun smith you would recommend to do the stock work?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.