a5 style stock help

chrishatley

Hey guys. I posted in the gunsmithing section to no avail, so I'm trying here. I'm wanting to carve my own a5 style stock for a new build. The problem is I can't find a flat layout template anywhere. I've searched the web for weeks, and can't find anything. I don't know anyone with a stock like this to trace, so I'm hoping to find a template. I really like Joel Russo's work, and would like to try to make my own. You know, that extra bit of satisfaction. Any leads?

You are wanting to make a copy of a proprietary item. The only way you are going to be able to do that I suspect is to borrow one from a friend and use it as a pattern.

McMillian and Manners are certainly not likely to publish blue prints so people can easily copy the stocks they have develped at a substantial cost themselves.

I'm not looking for blue prints for a proprietary item, as many people make stocks shaped like this. I'm looking for a side view template to trace onto a blank. I know they exist, because I've seen pictures of them in threads I've found. I couldn't get a hold of the op's of those two threads. The templates looked like they were printed from a computer.

I'm not looking for blue prints for a proprietary item, as many people make stocks shaped like this. I'm looking for a side view template to trace onto a blank. I know they exist, because I've seen pictures of them in threads I've found. I couldn't get a hold of the op's of those two threads. The templates looked like they were printed from a computer.

Take a photo of the stock from side view and scale it up to real size.
Than print it on a paper and stick it to the wood for carving.
Cut around --- or carve.

Without proper tools will be a pain in the a**. special to get proper inletting.
Good luck with the project.
Post some photos too

That's a good idea 300. I'm on it. I have or have access to everything I'll need to shape, and inlet. It's still gonna suck on account of the win70 footprint though...

That's a good idea 300. I'm on it. I have or have access to everything I'll need to shape, and inlet. It's still gonna suck on account of the win70 footprint though...

Make sure you cut the wood "along the grain".
if not the stock will be very very week.
You need the grain to go from but stock to - forearm.
Just a TIP to save you from headache later on.

Right, right. No worries hoss, I understand the concept. I'm gonna carve this out of a laminated blank anyhow. I still have half a blank from my last build, and I think I'll use that. This is for my deer rifle, so I'll probably paint it. The blank is electric blue. Don't think that will match my realtree in the woods...Lol

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.