a5 style stock help

Ok, figured out the picture from phone deal. Yesterday I fit the bolt recess, ejection port chamfer, and sanded through 220 grit. Today I'll sand to 1000 grit, and have my dad spray an automotive clear coat. I figure if I use a good clear before I rattle can it od green, the paint will be easy to get off if I ever want it blue again.

Ok, figured out the picture from phone deal. Yesterday I fit the bolt recess, ejection port chamfer, and sanded through 220 grit. Today I'll sand to 1000 grit, and have my dad spray an automotive clear coat. I figure if I use a good clear before I rattle can it od green, the paint will be easy to get off if I ever want it blue again.

Do you carve this all free hand?
Yeah buddy, you got skills.

I used a mill to "short inlet" the blank. I used a 3" air grinder with a 50 grit pad, and a 1" x 2" barrel sander on an air die grinder to shape the whole outside. By hand. It wasn't to hard because you have the lines in the laminate to keep things even on both sides. I finished the inlet with a dremel tool, and various bits.

Looks Good. You changed a little bit the shape from A5 style, but is there.... Good Job.
Looks like the idea with blown up the photo for tracing works pretty well.

You should be very proud. First time making a stock from scratch without a duplicator, just by hand - end up a very neat looking stock.

If you have to sell it after all this work... what would be the price...

Just to see if you have regrets or would you sell it right away for lets see.... $400????

Chris

I will definitely post pics when it's done. The recoil pad was made from a 98 cent pair of flip flops, and a piece of 3/16" black lexan we use for side skirts on our race cars. Lop was a bit too long, so I cut off 3/4" of stock. I'll make another pad using only 1 layer of flip flop.:D

Thanks for the kind comments guys. 300, I did change the shape a little. I did that to fit me better. I needed the forearm to be slimmer, so I could still shoot off hand comfortably. I won't sell this one because it's my first a5 style, and it's for my trusty dirty 06' deer rifle. I will say it was alot of fun to do though, and I will definitely make more. Next will be a m70 in 7-08 for my little girls 13th birthday. I'm gonna use a black and purple blank, I think she'll like it.

Thanks for the kind comments guys. 300, I did change the shape a little. I did that to fit me better. I needed the forearm to be slimmer, so I could still shoot off hand comfortably. I won't sell this one because it's my first a5 style, and it's for my trusty dirty 06' deer rifle. I will say it was alot of fun to do though, and I will definitely make more. Next will be a m70 in 7-08 for my little girls 13th birthday. I'm gonna use a black and purple blank, I think she'll like it.

I know... I was teasing you... This is a rifle project what end up pretty nice...

Now.... this is what you should feel about the final stock " I will say it was alot of fun to do though, and I will definitely make more"

I'm glad you like it and ENJOY BUILDING YOUR OWN STOCK.
You will have nice stories around the fire to tell, and i bet everybody will envy you.

As a tip ... next time make sure you fit 2 stocks in one blank (seams you could do 2 stocks from your original stock.)

PS. You could try for finishing the BEDLINER Spray... The stock will be protected from scratching and will be in black finish with nice texturing. I did myself few stocks and they end up very nice....

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts