A very interesting article on precision (not) reloading

It seems All those 6mm cartridges favored by the PRS shooters are some of the most inherently accurate cartridges made today. I bought an off the rack savage 6arc, dumped 27 grains of Varget, topped with a 108gr Berger, sparked with a Fed match primer in Hornady brass salvaged from hornady match ammo and shot 1/4 to 1/2 minute groups out to 700 yds. i shot my first match a few weeks ago and got trounced by a friend of mine shooting a home made Remage using out of the box hornady ELDM factory ammo. He even headspaced his rifle build with 3 pieces of fired brass he borrowed from me.

The last 6.5 CM barrel I started shot the load from an entirely different rifle better than the other rifle. Alpha brass, Sierra 142s, CCI-450s, send it. Anything other than my F-Class rig if it shoots under an inch it's time to roll it out.

NEVER associate competition with hunting.
They're in no way related. Even the annual groundhog shoots are nothing like hunting shooting.
Not sure how to take this comment. I am a PRS competitor, and I just returned from South Africa hunting plains game. All the shots were off sticks, short time frames, down game trails, picking out a target among multiple potential targets. PRS skills translated for me very well. Biggest difference was even less time and shorter engagements - 50 yards to 220 yards.

Wanna know why he's so good....here's your answer.

"Austin told me he shoots around 6,000-7,000 rounds per year out of a precision bolt-action rifle, and most of that is through his 6 Dasher. He doesn't use a trainer rifle but always practices with whatever rifle he will take to the next match. There were times in the past when he fired up to 11,000 rounds in a year."

You shoot that many rounds a year and you're gonna learn something if you want to or not.

More range time will overcome a lot of things.

Wanna know why he's so good....here's your answer.

"Austin told me he shoots around 6,000-7,000 rounds per year out of a precision bolt-action rifle, and most of that is through his 6 Dasher. He doesn't use a trainer rifle but always practices with whatever rifle he will take to the next match. There were times in the past when he fired up to 11,000 rounds in a year."

You shoot that many rounds a year and you're gonna learn something if you want to or not.

More range time will overcome a lot of things.
And all running the same load. The old adage of fear the man with only one gun but knows how to shoot it. It's impressive. Lot of skill there regardless what the target is steel or animal.

I think this whole thread underscores a problem I and probably too many of you all also have. We should shoot more and read less..... A perfectly accurate round fired by a less that perfect shooter may be less accurate than a so-so round fired by a better shooter........

Sadly, its often easier to read and sit in front of my bench than go shoot.......

I think this whole thread underscores a problem I and probably too many of you all also have. We should shoot more and read less..... A perfectly accurate round fired by a less that perfect shooter may be less accurate than a so-so round fired by a better shooter........

Sadly, its often easier to read and sit in front of my bench than go shoot.......
Well said...

A perfectly accurate round fired by a less that perfect shooter may be less accurate than a so-so round fired by a better shooter........
Good point. It's just that folks often stretch such an association way too far.
For LR hunting shots, our considerations, and situations, are usually different.

I was obsessed with my practices at the reloading bench, trying to get the lowest SD/ES and the tiniest groups on paper with my 28N. I was shooting .5-.75, however, seeing and hearing what everyone else was getting had me at the reloading bench with more and more equipment. I decided to contact a friend and person who built the rifle, asked what am I doing wrong, I cannot get my SD/ES down into the single digits consistently. He just said, quit worrying about that and quit trying to print tiny groups, you need to be out there learning how to read the wind and shooting distance to get better. So, for a hunting rifle, that is what I started working on now. However, not with my barrel burning 28N.

Yup. A consistent sub 0.3 MOA load is worthless in the hands of a 2 MOA shooter.

Recent Posts