A very interesting article on precision (not) reloading

That article is based on using a very heavy barrel that does not vibrate much. For a #3 contour 300 WM bbl, you can throw all that in the trash. All these articles have to be viewed in the context from which they were developed.
So what are the different reloading techniques for #3 contour 300WM versus the article?

Good point. It's just that folks often stretch such an association way too far.
For LR hunting shots, our considerations, and situations, are usually different.
Can you provide more details on how a "LR hunting" shot is different from a "long range" PRS engagement (not F class or similar competition). I realize that there may not be a pile of tires available to rest on but I have taken/made "PRS stage like engagements" hunting mule deer in Wyoming - one lightweight bag off a boulder for example.

Can you provide more details on how a "LR hunting" shot is different from a "long range" PRS engagement (not F class or similar competition). I realize that there may not be a pile of tires available to rest on but I have taken/made "PRS stage like engagements" hunting mule deer in Wyoming - one lightweight bag off a boulder for example.
Interested to hear this also. Shooting matches is excellent hunting practice in my experience.

That article is based on using a very heavy barrel that does not vibrate much. For a #3 contour 300 WM bbl, you can throw all that in the trash. All these articles have to be viewed in the context from which they were developed.
Agreed, but here on the LR forum most of the barrel types used, advertised and sold are Sendero, Palma, heavy varmint and M40 types. Most folks aren't shooting #3's in long range guns from the looks of it.

Wow! My jaw dropped when I read the part that he didn't use an expander button or mandrel after squeezing the neck down and his comment that neck tension doesn't matter as long as the bullet stays in place. My obsessive nature just couldn't allow that. He doesn't read the Internet forums, does he?
No he probably doesn't and that is probably why he is a champion shooter. Sometimes it's better to think out of the box, especially if the box is sealed with inaccurate notions. There are no fast and proven rules here and it's encouraged t experiment.

Variance in neck tension can cause a large variance in velocity. Variance in velocity can cause a large variance in vertical dispersion. That's just a fact.

A lot of people make reloading decisions based on bad math. They'll test whether or not something makes a difference with 5 or 10 shot groups, see that one group is smaller, and assume whatever they're testing made a difference. In reality it's often the result of statistical noise because they're not firing enough rounds to get a representative sample. This leads a lot of people to obsess over details that don't make a difference.

There are some details that can lead to a minor improvement on precision, but for most shooters it doesn't matter. In most situations, like hunting and PRS, you can't reasonably shoot well enough for a .7" group to hit when a .8" group doesn't. You're much more likely to miss because of a bad wind call, inaccurate ranging, or a lack of stability than a small difference in group size.

Decent precision and velocity consistency combined with good wind reading, accurate ranging, and the ability to build stable shooting positions is a winning combination for most hunters. Hits come from time behind the trigger in challenging conditions, not hours at the bench weighing powder to the milligram and trimming evey piece of brass within a thou.
I heartily agree with all the above with the exception of the hours at the bench comment. I shoot a lot and all the ammo I shoot no matter rifle or pistol is part and parcel of the reason that I am successful at shooting sub MOA groups with out of the box firearms. The best custom rifle in the world is pretty much useless unless the cannon fodder you feed it is something that is compatible with the barrel, action and stock. If the rifle doesn't like the ammo then it's not going to shoot well. I load ammo not because it's less expensive than buying factory. I load ammo to be as consistent and accurate as possible for each of my rifles. Each one, with the exception of my two 308 Winchester Model 70's which both consistently shoot sub MOA using the exact same ammo. I can load Nosler 168 gr match bullets or Nosler 165 partitions and switch back and forth between either rifle and never have to change the zero on either. Why is this, consistent ammunition finely tuned to the rifle and lovingly and patiently loaded by sitting at the loading bench and paying attention to detail. In closing all I will say is this, "Why bother to have a multi million dollar custom rifle if you are going to shoot subpar ammunition out of it?

Variance in neck tension can cause a large variance in velocity. Variance in velocity can cause a large variance in vertical dispersion. That's just a fact.
This is true. Think about it for a moment. Your comment is valid. However how much more consistent can you get if there is only enough neck tension to hold the bullet in place?

I don't know what "enough tension to hold the bullet in place" means in numbers but it is a chore to achieve low ES.
And according to many learned folks it's likely a fool's errand to pursue much less than a 20 ES if the results on paper are pleasing. I've found loading for my 6-CM so easy it's laughable. Dropping unnecessary processes during loading has increased my productivity and effective rounds down range dramatically. Cal and his PRB has uncovered many exceptions to the rule so many live by. For some the status quo may be of benefit, for many not so much. I am ashamed to admit that I enjoy the requisite wailing and gnashing of teeth when the internet norms are challenged by those that can prove less is sometimes more.
For the record I exclude ELR (2000yds +) because I have no idea what that requires.

Apparently Buschman's resizing die produces consistent neck tension, without an expander mandrel.
He didn't say neck tension isn't important. Just that he doesn't need an expander mandrel.

During the shooting sequence the case neck often gets distorted during the ejection process. When sizing the neck will be pressed back somewhat but without using an expander to return it to concentrically I doubt that there is any way to get even neck tension on the bullet.

Recent Posts