A very interesting article on precision (not) reloading

8x68s

an interview with current champion and leading contender in the PRS rifle series and recent world champion in PRS internationally. His reloading process is totally counter to what most of us have learned along our journeys in reloading. Interesting, to say the least!

You gotta understand the game he plays. He's not trying to shoot the smallest group. He's trying to hit a steel plate at varying distances as quickly as possible. Consistent reliable ammo is all he needs. Reading the wind is much more important to these guys. I think as hunters we can learn a lot from the prs guys. Use quality components and dont obsess over every minute detail. Your better off spending that time shooting.

I am a PRS competitor - shot out my 6XC barrel last year and moved to 6BRA on backup barrel. Match rifle is Dasher (almost exactly like the article). I use Berger 105 Hybrids, Alpha Brass, Varget, and CCI450s as outlined in the article (commonly used high end components for Dasher/BR/BRA/GT in PRS - some use 109 Hybrids). I never search for the optimal "jump" - load to a standard COAL that work in the mag. I anneal brass every time as second step of case prep (first step tumble clean). I do clean primer pocket and chamfer in/out brass. I drop powder on a RCBS Chargemaster and seat bullets on a Dillon 550. I use Forster dies for BR, BRA, Dasher. My loads are single digit SDs - usually 7ish. I do not measure groups much but they are often one hole 5 shot groups at 100.

When I told my recent 6BRA barrel gunsmith my abbreviated reloading steps he was dismayed but certainly happy with the group pictures I send him (he has a F class clientele).

There are plenty of PRS competitors that use extraordinarily complex reloading steps. You need a certain amount of accuracy/repeatability on the ammo but ultimately it is who handles the match pressure the best plus wind reading skills and ability to make 8-12 impacts in 90 seconds from multiple positions on very small targets at multiple ranges.

The targets are getting increasingly smaller in the 3 years I have competed.

Some Hornady podcasts about reloading, sample sizes, etc. seem to support these reloading "techniques" too.

A lot of people make reloading decisions based on bad math. They'll test whether or not something makes a difference with 5 or 10 shot groups, see that one group is smaller, and assume whatever they're testing made a difference. In reality it's often the result of statistical noise because they're not firing enough rounds to get a representative sample. This leads a lot of people to obsess over details that don't make a difference.

There are some details that can lead to a minor improvement on precision, but for most shooters it doesn't matter. In most situations, like hunting and PRS, you can't reasonably shoot well enough for a .7" group to hit when a .8" group doesn't. You're much more likely to miss because of a bad wind call, inaccurate ranging, or a lack of stability than a small difference in group size.

Decent precision and velocity consistency combined with good wind reading, accurate ranging, and the ability to build stable shooting positions is a winning combination for most hunters. Hits come from time behind the trigger in challenging conditions, not hours at the bench weighing powder to the milligram and trimming evey piece of brass within a thou.

This my process I've come to after just 3 years of reloading. So not a ton of experience. But it seems consistent and produces consistent results. Normally just mandrel .001 under bullet diameter
F0AF6E8B-46B4-48E9-879A-FDB177F5FB88.jpeg

I feel like there is a lot of overrated stuff that goes into reloading. Most of these steps have been tested at 1000 yards from bench rest pros. I have also tested them and found to be wasted steps and time, that absolutely, positively don't give you lower ES or better accuracy.

Last edited:
A lot of people make reloading decisions based on bad math. They'll test whether or not something makes a difference with 5 or 10 shot groups, see that one group is smaller, and assume whatever they're testing made a difference. In reality it's often the result of statistical noise because they're not firing enough rounds to get a representative sample. This leads a lot of people to obsess over details that don't make a difference.

There are some details that can lead to a minor improvement on precision, but for most shooters it doesn't matter. In most situations, like hunting and PRS, you can't reasonably shoot well enough for a .7" group to hit when a .8" group doesn't. You're much more likely to miss because of a bad wind call, inaccurate ranging, or a lack of stability than a small difference in group size.

Decent precision and velocity consistency combined with good wind reading, accurate ranging, and the ability to build stable shooting positions is a winning combination for most hunters. Hits come from time behind the trigger in challenging conditions, not hours at the bench weighing powder to the milligram and trimming evey piece of brass within a thou.
Truth. The other takeaway is use quality components. Brass and bullets if you can. A lot of guys just pulling Lapua out the box and loading it. It's that good.