A very interesting article on precision (not) reloading

Variance in neck tension can cause a large variance in velocity. Variance in velocity can cause a large variance in vertical dispersion. That's just a fact.
But when shooting at 400 yards from unsupported positions, what's more important? A very minor velocity variance, or the extra thousands of rounds of practice from unsupported positions that this guy got by shooting more and loading less?

Shooting more and loading less is why Erik Cortina uses automated Dillon progressive presses as part of his loading process for F-Class, because he gets to spend more time on the line that way. No one can seriously argue that Erik (as annoying as he gets about FL sizing) isn't capable of putting up very, very small groups.

I'm all in on finding the bottom of the rabbit hole with my benchrest rifles that are capable of telling the truth on different processes. But load development for my PRS rifle consisted of 1) buy Alpha brass, 2) use my F-Class load data for 6 Dasher, 3) shoot.

You'll never reload your way into precision anywhere besides a shooting bench....

Kraft.JPG