A thank you to the CA lead ban...

Oh I see the big picture.... And you think all of those animals are gone because of poachers? Human encroachment is the main culprit. Thanos had the right idea... :)
The use of Lead shot was banned in Canada in 1999 and only applies to waterfowl. The effort was to control the amount of lead entering our water sources and inevitably or drinking water. It wasn't a bad idea. Was it politically imposed ..yes...but the backside story made sense to all of us.

I just moved back to Southern California for work and and dealing with this whole non-lead thing. Initially I bought non-lead bullets for all my Rifles with the intent of finding a load for all of them, but I just don't have the time. I found a good load for one and that's the one I'll use, the others will be for the range and out of state hunts.

My question with the whole thing is how are they going to check? I mean GMXs look like SSTs when loaded? Are the going to take a bullet from me and not give it back? The rules actually state it will help if you carry the box the bullets came in on you. I doubt game wardens down here know one bullet from another. The last one that checked me here couldn't even open the bolt on my rifle without asking me for help (safety was on).

Interesting with the side arm discussion. I would have never thought those had to be non-lead as well. Thanks for the heads up. I hunt right on the boarder and there are too many lions and illegals not to carry one!

Yes they will either take one from you and send you a ticket in the mail or cut one apart in the field.

They also have been going to the butcher shops and using a lead detector on the animal and ticketing hunters that way instead of checking them in the field.

Not for the reasons you think, but I need to thank all of the dumb ***** that enacted the lead ban in Cali. Before it I had my pet load under a Nosler 150 gr partion. 1" MOA and it NEVER failed me. So that was all I ever loaded up. I'm throwing the thanks out there because the ban forced me to search for a copper load. In my search during the last couple years I decided to step it up and try to make the best ammo possible, learning about headspace and concentricity and neck tension and neck clearance from the members of this site. With the knowledge learned here that I've used and will use, my 35+ year old rifle has gone from 1" MOA to 3/4" MOA to 1/2" MOA (when I do my part of course...). So thank you dumb *****, and i'm not talking about the members here... :)
Glad you were able to adjust and find an accurate load and bullet! Still not a fan of the CSC (Communist State of California)

140 gr TTSX 81 gr H1000. Compressed load. 3360'/sec 24" barrel. Dropped 2 in their tracks this past season. Thinking I'm going switch to a 150 gr TTSX 74.5 gr H4831sc this year though. Got it going 3250'+. Just fine tuning the seating depth now. Better numbers when compared.
Try some Hammer copper bullets. I've shot TSx and TTSX since the both came out. Also MRX and LRX.. Hammers are a whole new ball game. Can shoot like jacketed bullets. Less pressure . Not load down like Barnes. Better B.C. also.

Only two reasons I can ever see going to Cali again, for work (and then someone else is paying the bill) or if I am ever lucky enough to draw a sheep or Tule tag. Otherwise the Dimocraps, illegals and idiots can have it - beautiful state, it just needs to get rid of all the Commufornians and illegal Mexicans. Guess I'll create my own luck, go buy some .338 or .264 TTSXs (or if I need to, some of the other non-lead bullets you fine folks recommended) and get the .340 and .264WinMag set for that sheep/elk hunt in the land of fruits and nuts.
I drew my bighorn tag in 2002. First year they went to a point system. Shot a nice ram Feb. 2003. Drew an antelope tag in 2012. Shot a nice buck. I have yet to draw a dam tule elk tag. I have max points . 18 going on 19 or whatever it is now. Moving back to Wy. In couple months . Bad enough they chatge $450 or whatever for a resident tag. Because they give so few let's charge more. More than bighorn now. I don't even know what a non res. Elk tag here is but I'm screwed! Lol. Ill just be glad to get out of this fcked up state !

Of course you are welcome to your opinion, but I disagree to this extent: rural areas of California are not over-populated compared to many other states (no one hunts in downtown LA or SF, but a tag for shooting drug dealers would be good), the political drive in California is ALL aimed at eliminating anything to do with private ownership of firearms. Tax, restrict, tax, restrict. I live in California, have a CCW, and am looking at this accurately.
If Grusome Newsome could get away with banning guns, he'd do it in a heartbeat.
Amen to that brother. He makes Brown look like a moderate. Both brainwashed and trained by Gerry and Pelosi.

Yes they will either take one from you and send you a ticket in the mail or cut one apart in the field.

They also have been going to the butcher shops and using a lead detector on the animal and ticketing hunters that way instead of checking them in the field.
More revenue... unbelievable .

Amen to that brother. He makes Brown look like a moderate. Both brainwashed and trained by Gerry and Pelosi.

And I meant to say I'm all in for clean water, preserving wildlife like Eagles & Condors, etc. The problem with California politicians (Democrats) is that when they want a law restricting ammunition for a "good cause," or guns for "safety," you see they don't apply the same effort and standards to many non-gun situations that would make sense if they really cared about the environment & safety, instead of restricting gun owners.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.