A thank you to the CA lead ban...

GW Hunter

Not for the reasons you think, but I need to thank all of the dumb ***** that enacted the lead ban in Cali. Before it I had my pet load under a Nosler 150 gr partion. 1" MOA and it NEVER failed me. So that was all I ever loaded up. I'm throwing the thanks out there because the ban forced me to search for a copper load. In my search during the last couple years I decided to step it up and try to make the best ammo possible, learning about headspace and concentricity and neck tension and neck clearance from the members of this site. With the knowledge learned here that I've used and will use, my 35+ year old rifle has gone from 1" MOA to 3/4" MOA to 1/2" MOA (when I do my part of course...). So thank you dumb *****, and i'm not talking about the members here... :)

140 gr TTSX 81 gr H1000. Compressed load. 3360'/sec 24" barrel. Dropped 2 in their tracks this past season. Thinking I'm going switch to a 150 gr TTSX 74.5 gr H4831sc this year though. Got it going 3250'+. Just fine tuning the seating depth now. Better numbers when compared.

Oh I see the big picture.... And you think all of those animals are gone because of poachers? Human encroachment is the main culprit. Thanos had the right idea... :)

Oh I see the big picture.... And you think all of those animals are gone because of poachers? Human encroachment is the main culprit. Thanos had the right idea... :)

Obviously you don't or you would get with others and stop giving them $$$ for a while.

Good luck.

Great attitude and one that will allow you to adapt and adapt you did.

In the electronics industry, Japan and Europe drove the lead free directive. As much as it was easy to hem and haw about it, to embrace it gives me two materials to use, with different characteristics.

Not really, it's just most guys can't see the big picture. It's not about the one deer you and your buddy shoot...what about all the dove, quail, pheasant etc hunters? Coyotes? Bobcats? Ground/grey squirrels? Bears? Elk?

Plus there's already talk about making trap ranges and target shooting lead free also. They know they will never take the guns, so limiting ammo is their game plan.
That's sad. I live here in Cal. and don't waste my time hunting here anymore . Now, I'm not sure what to do about steel shot in my shotguns . I don't want to damage the barrels in any way . Guess I've got to keep going out of state to hunt .

140 gr TTSX 81 gr H1000. Compressed load. 3360'/sec 24" barrel. Dropped 2 in their tracks this past season. Thinking I'm going switch to a 150 gr TTSX 74.5 gr H4831sc this year though. Got it going 3250'+. Just fine tuning the seating depth now. Better numbers when compared.

If your load is exiting, what difference does the bullet weight make?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.