A thank you to the CA lead ban...

Lasiter NAILS it. We can't have lead in our hunting bullets because (make up whatever "progressive" reason works for you today.) But they can put up wind farms that chop to death thousands of birds every year because, well, it was an idea promoted by people with the 'right' ideology.
https://www.audubon.org/news/will-wind-turbines-ever-be-safe-birds
Excerpt: "One of the most notorious wind farms—Altamont Pass Wind Farm in northern California—is a lesson in how poor siting can hurt birds. The farm, which straddles a windswept mountain pass, is also in the midst of a major avian migration route, and has been responsible for tens of thousands of birds' deaths since its inception in the 1960s."

So, we (the State of California) care about wildlife, but only the wildlife killed by HUNTERS. Wildlife killed by wind farms can go suck it (apparently.)

Consider this also:
"Despite the California Department of Fish & Wildlife's acknowledgment that 99% of hunters are complying with the lead ammunition ban in the "condor zone" since the law took effect, the rate of condor lead poisoning and mortality actually increased since 2007! This failure to reduce condor blood-lead levels, poisoning and mortality suggests that lead ammunition used for hunting was not the source of lead poisoning of condors."

Lasiter NAILS it. We can't have lead in our hunting bullets because (make up whatever "progressive" reason works for you today.) But they can put up wind farms that chop to death thousands of birds every year because, well, it was an idea promoted by people with the 'right' ideology.
Excerpt: "One of the most notorious wind farms—Altamont Pass Wind Farm in northern California—is a lesson in how poor siting can hurt birds. The farm, which straddles a windswept mountain pass, is also in the midst of a major avian migration route, and has been responsible for tens of thousands of birds' deaths since its inception in the 1960s."

So, we (the State of California) care about wildlife, but only the wildlife killed by HUNTERS. Wildlife killed by wind farms can go suck it (apparently.)

Consider this also:
"Despite the California Department of Fish & Wildlife's acknowledgment that 99% of hunters are complying with the lead ammunition ban in the "condor zone" since the law took effect, the rate of condor lead poisoning and mortality actually increased since 2007! This failure to reduce condor blood-lead levels, poisoning and mortality suggests that lead ammunition used for hunting was not the source of lead poisoning of condors."

They have actual video of a Condor pecking on an old fire lookout tower...which just happened to be painted with lead based paint. Let's forget about the lead mines in the areas also.

But no, it's the deer someone didn't retrieve or the coyote that a Condor ate that gave it lead poisoning...I have some ocean front property in Arizona for sale too.

I'm not up to snuff on all the funny laws that Ca.has but will the wardens fine someone if they have lead bullets.just asking anyone that knows.
Yes, the wardens, police and everybody else will fine you for having a lead bullet when you are hunting, be it one in your truck not on person. Depending on their attitude that day your long gun, hand gun, equipment and vehicle could be confiscated and held pending trial.
I am from california and I usually go out of state to practice and hunt. california changes open shooting rules and places then applies tickets or severe warnings if you are caught unawares.

Consider this also:
The #1 killer of eagles in Wy.. a federal offense . Gets a free pass by Obama.

Guess I have to buy bullets for my pistol now, great...As for the taking a bullet or cutting them up right there, that's BS. What if I'm using a bullet like cutting edge or something they cost 1.50+ a bullet. Then the check me multiple times during the season, that adds up!

I'm going to start carrying a bullet puller with me. They can take my bullet but not my fireformed AI brass!!lol

I live in NorCal and disagree with the lead-free ammo restriction as applied to big game.

I understand the reasoning for waterfowl.

Upland/migratory bird, no-go.

It's strictly a politically motivated move in efforts to undermine Second Amendment rights, IMO.

Now how about after July 1? More ammo BS.

Jumping off my soapbox now...carry on...

I live in NorCal and disagree with the lead-free ammo restriction as applied to big game.

I understand the reasoning for waterfowl.

Upland/migratory bird, no-go.

It's strictly a politically motivated move in efforts to undermine Second Amendment rights, IMO.

Now how about after July 1? More ammo BS.

Jumping off my soapbox now...carry on...
So true. What's their reasoning in the rest of the state where there are no condors ? Coyotes vultures ravens and crows are going to get lead poisoning?
The whole thing with condors was made up so they could ban lead. A Bullet ban is what they wanted . Even Obama tried to shut down our last lead smelter in the U.S..

Upon signing the lead hunting ban for California, then Governor Jerry Brown also touted that it would protect the health of hunters.

The "logic", or more accurately the spin, would be that hunters were hurting themselves by ingesting the lead in animals that they shot.

Apparently hunters don't know about trimming out the lead affected parts of the game and therefore we need the state to protect us from ourselves.

Thank you for saving us Jerry Brown, it was a close call for hunters on the self inflicted lead poisoning...but what if we start ingesting the copper now?!

Last edited:
If you read a Colorado 2019 Big Game hand book page 11, lower left corner!!!!. you will find where Colorado Parks & wild life recommend lead free bullets. Kind of scary as an ominous agenda coming!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.