A simple question, hope to get some interesting results

742 yards - 32" mule deer buck, scored 197 3/8 B&C, knocked off feet, never even raised his head (DRT).

635 yards - cow elk, mighty fine eatin'. Maybe went 10 yards and flopped over dead.

300 RUM Sendero - 200 gr. Nosler partitions, 3225fps. Bedded, 2 lb. trigger, Leupold VariX111 4.5x14, Premier Reticle dots out to 800 yards.

Mule deer 490
Rock chuck 490

Knocking on the door of the 500 yard club...

Ain't no one answering.

It is facinating to read at what ranges some of our members are harvesting game at.
notworthy.gif

A friend of mine recently was passing through town. I was working but my bro got to meet with him. He is an avid hunter and was mentioning to my bro and my nephew that he was going to try "stretching his range" on deer next season. He was going to work on taking shots in the 200 to 250 range. My brother said this to me with the body language that showed Jeff may have been a little boastfull or maybe had a bit of "I am ready to step away from the crowd." attitude. Well my bro said jeffs jaw dropped when he heard that we regularly work up good loads at 300, I took my deer this year at 490 and my nephew was whackin' the 1 foot gong at 500 yards with bbl break in loads and a hold over sight picture in a brand new factory gun.
shocked.gif
Jeff realized all of a sudden that he was not stepping away from the crowd but rather stepping into another crowd that has been there and done that.

I guess that is something I like about threads like this. They no longer amaze me when I read that "so and so shot a deer or a coyote at x yards". It is definately a doable thing. I like to know that if I work at it and continue trying new things I can do it too.

(The thread seemed to have slowed down so I hope you dont mind the bump back to the top and my throwing in a little story.)

PD in Wy. 720 yrds 220 Swift 69 SMK 3350fps over Rl-22 Sharp Shooter Supply Savage 27" Douglas barrel 8x32 Burris. 3 witness.

A Doe Antelope 627 yards 1 shot double lung down in 25 yrds., 220 Swift 55 Grn BaLTip over N-160 3900 fps 8x32 Burris over a Sharp Shooter Savage actioned Douglas 27" barrel, 3 witness. (clicked over 8" for wind.)

A Pa. ground hog 457 yrds same rifle as above. no witness

Bull Elk 6x6 387 yards 1 shot double lung down in 15 yards, 308 Hammonds 200 grn Sierra over RL-22 3200 fps 6x20 Leupold on top a Rem action 27" Hart barrel. 2witness

Bull Caribou 337 yards drop in his tracks, 1 shot .257 Weatherby Lghtwght 115 grn BalTip over H-1000 topped w/Zeiss 6x20. (see page 10 of the 2007 Weatherby catalog, sent them a pic for posting on web site, they called asked me for catalog!)6 witness

Mule deer 4x4 310 yrds 308 Hammonds took him right off the side of mountain, fell to the bottom, easy recovery. I was alone.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Muntjac doe (about the size of a spaniel dog) live weight 11.65 kg's. They are covered by the Deer Acts in British law so they might be large game. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Range 395 metres (432 yrds)
6.5 x 55 SE Roedale Precision
4-16 x 50 PMII S&B
120gr Sierra Pro hunter

Bloomin' lovely it was. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would like to thank everyone who has participated in this thread and invite anyone else who would like to give us some info. Hope to tally it up when it is about done - when that is I am not sure. We got a lot of excellent info here. Maybe wait for the twentieth page.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.